Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

06a block. what type of aluminum?

1621 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  AnnaFD114
Block cracked due to a leak from a warped thermostat housing. (hint-dont add water to hot motor). it has about a 2 inch crack right between the waterpump and thermostat. Going to weld the crack with a tig welder (im not a professional is ha). hopefully it works im not out much if it doesnt. My question is what type of aluminum is our blocks? and if theres any welding guys in here, what type of rod should be used with the weld?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
They're usually cast aluminum or an aluminum alloy with magnesium.

The correct method is to cut out 1/4 inch of material to weld the crack at its root.
You can't weld over a crack to fix it, it will just crack again, or spread.

Not knowing the exact composition of the block, can't safely say which
materials to use to weld it.
I know with my old car, the head had a good size crack about 4 inches long. I sold it to my buddy and he ended up just welding the crack and fixed the problem. I'm not sure how long it lasted though, since he sold it afterwards.
not welding over the crack. going to V it out with a dremel after i get it all cleaned up. guys coming sometime this weekend to look at it and see what he can do. hopefully will have my car back soon :D
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.