Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just bought a 2000 gls 1.8t. the person i bought it from claims the engine was replaced with a 2002 engine with fewer miles. i know the engine is basically the same. is there any difference i can see to be able to tell if it was actually swapped or not?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and also i was reading about the engines and there is one that has like 148hp, and one that has around 180hp. but i couldnt find anything about them having different engine codes. how can i tell which one i have without having to dyno it?

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Its the turbo that gives the extra 30hp. Did they give you an engine code?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its the turbo that gives the extra 30hp. Did they give you an engine code?

Wrong. Both the early and later MKIV Jettas have K03 Turbos. No difference performance wise. The Only difference is the ECU's are running off different tunes. The 2002+ ECU was upgraded with a slightly better tune. Thats the only difference. You can simply Take your 2000 GLS 1.8T to APR or any other tune shop and get your ECU tuned and pass the 2002+ Tune effortlessly with much more. I know this bc i did ALOT ALOT ALOT of research about the difference bc i my self had to decide wheter i wanted to buy a 2003 Wolfsbug edition 1.8T 5speed with some cosmetic issues or go with a 2001 Wolfsburg Edition 5 Speed. I knew i was going to be getting it tuned anyway so i didnt care about the slight Under Tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Newer models also came with a somewhat upgraded version of the KO3 turbo which most people refer to as the KO3s, though there is debate as to whether or not the manufacturer labels it as such. Not sure how much of the extra 30hp found in later 1.8t's can be attributed to tuning or the turbo, but those are the only two differences I know of.

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
Newer models also came with a somewhat upgraded version of the KO3 turbo which most people refer to as the KO3s, though there is debate as to whether or not the manufacturer labels it as such. Not sure how much of the extra 30hp found in later 1.8t's can be attributed to tuning or the turbo, but those are the only two differences I know of.
Prob a little of both, early models run at 7-8 psi and later models run at 12 psi.

Sent from my Phablet AKA Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE via the dark side.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know these are noob questions but new to ecu controlled boost. ive been told by a few shops that i have to chip my ecu to get it tuned. is this true or are they full of it? and also if i get an ecu from like an 03 gli are there any other differences that would prevent me from "plug and playing" with that ecu in my 2000 gls?

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Its not a chip, it's a flash. ECU has to be the same engine code. A 2003 GLI will be a 24v, so that will not work.

Dude who said KO3 and KO3s are the same is smoking rocks.

·
i hate you
413 Posts
the 1.8t is a 20v. that being said, the 2003 gli was not a 1.8, it was a vr6, 4 valve per cylinder, 24v. you have to look into a few things when swapping out ecu's. you have immobilizers, which can be defeated. you have engine codes (AWW, AWP, AWD, AZG, AVH, and there are others) that have to match up, and other small things. it's not a plug and play deal at all.

"chipping" is an old term which we still use for "flashing" our ecu's. Flashing is typically done in 15 mins- 1 hr. The term "chipping" hails from the tuners actually opening up the ecu, and soldering a bridge between, one or more circuits and literally inserting a chip in some cases. The only place i think that still does that, and it's only on the high end tunes, is unitronic. Somebody correct me if i am wrong on that and they have moved completely to flashing.

long answer for info you were't looking for, sorry!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it might not be a 2003 i was using a generic year. but i know the engine is a 1.8t. but i have an awd and the gli's are awp so in other words that wouldnt work. thats good to know. and doesnt apr actually solder in a chip? at least for the awd engine because apparently its not plug and flash compatible according to their website. idk like i said im new at this and may be completely wrong. just a few things ive read. but that means i should be able to take my car to a shop and have them tune it without having to go through apr or unitronics or the others for a real aggressive tune until i get the money saved up? i must say this ecu managed boost system vw came up with is a pain in the a**. lol

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
No they don't solder a chip in... They flash it. I wouldn't take it and get it tuned at any shop. There's a reason those places are so popular, lots of satisfied customers.

·
Asshat Patrol
1,796 Posts
it might not be a 2003 i was using a generic year. but i know the engine is a 1.8t. but i have an awd and the gli's are awp so in other words that wouldnt work.
With that statement being said that would make my GLS a GLI... I have a AWP.
My suggestion keep reading a little more on Jettas especially if you're looking to tune it.. Unitronic, APR, Gonzo and C2 Motorsports are all companies that do Chip Flashing for our VWs. Might be more out there but those are the top dogs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wasnt saying gli are the only ones to have awp. but from what ive read 2000 only made aww and awd of which aww was 180hp and awd was 150hp. later models of the gls were fitted with different engine codes. my point was that i statred this thread to find out the differences in the engine codes and y one had 30 more horsepower than the other whether it be compression ratio or boost pressure or what. from what i understand the k03s wasnt used until a few years later i think i read like 04. and if that was true and there was no difference except boost pressure i didnt know if an 02-03 gli ecu would work. and sry vixen i know ur pretty educated on this stuff i had just watched the video on apr's website showing the process and it showed taking ur ecu out, shipping it to them, they get it solder a chip in, and ship it back the same day. it must be an outdated video if thats not how they do it now.

·
FLOOR IT!
35 Posts
You guys are making it too complicated...

Its as simple as this:
2000 - 150hp/k03 [AWD] - narrowband/no VVT
2000 - 2001 - 150hp/k03s (compressor housing does not have a silencer) [AWW] - wideband/VVT
2002 - 2005 - 180hp/k03s (compressor housing does have a silencer) [AWP] - wideband/VVT

Hardware between AWW and AWP is 99.99% identical except for AWW running less boost from factory and the turbo not having a silencer on the compressor housing.
If you take care of the Immobilizer, you can run a AWW ECU on a AWP car and vice versa.

·
i hate you
413 Posts
that puts a quick rest to this disagreement. thank you.

except I THINK you mean 2002 - 2005 - 180hp/k03s

and

[AWP] - wideband/VVT

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
Sure gets nice having you around despite all the **** you've gotten gonzo. Thanks! Btw is the 2+ out yet?

Sent from my Phablet AKA Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE via the dark side.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks gonzo. that helps. so the difference between awd and aww is vvt and the turbo. then the diference between aww and awp is basically just higher boost pressure from the factory. btw im going to urotuning on the 18th for the stage 2 tune. and once i get my fmic and tip ill be back for 2+. cant wait to feel the difference. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts