Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Jetta wagon gls 1.8T tiptronic automatic 128,000 miles. recently when accelerating quickly at highway speeds my tranny has been shifting hard, and sometimes hesitates then shifts hard. i'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem. i'm getting the so called "lifetime" Tranny fluid changed next week and it will hopefully help but who knows. any help or comments would be very great!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have the jetta 1.8 turbo with the tiptronicand it shifts hard in auto or when i have it it tip mode but mine doe it when you gve it hard throttle and does it when your a 25 thrugh 35 then at 45 to 55 it goes away im boing to try and get the trans oil changed but some have a sensor on the trans and that might be it . just wondering where dir you get that picture from i want to get one as a sticker

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 5 speed swap is pretty expensive. From what I've read online it costs about $4,000 to $5,000 to do it. Hopefully a fluid change will help. What sensor exactly is the sensor called that you are speaking of, if the fluid change doesn't help I might try replacing it. You can get the sticker on ebay, that'd where I got mine, it was like $5, just search "vw sticker", it really gets the hondatards riled up too!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I drive a 05 triptronic GLI, 82k miles. I get a really rough shift from 2nd to 3rd on a cold engine, feels like it almost stalls. And during spirited driving it shifts rough up to 4th. 4th to 5th is almost always fairly smooth. Someone told me to try replacing my motor mounts, especially the dogbone mount. ECS sells a OEM dogbone mount powder coated in black with polyurethane bushings for around $85 or so. That's just a couple $$ more than the OEM dogbone mount (at ECS, it's nearly $120 from the stealership). It's called ECS Ultimate Dogbone Mount. However, I'm not too sure if it will fix the issues. I have the part waiting for installation. I will let you know how it goes after I find time to put it in. Let me know if you feel a difference from the tranny fluid change, I might do that too if it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I drive a 05 triptronic GLI, 82k miles. I get a really rough shift from 2nd to 3rd on a cold engine, feels like it almost stalls. And during spirited driving it shifts rough up to 4th. 4th to 5th is almost always fairly smooth. Someone told me to try replacing my motor mounts, especially the dogbone mount. ECS sells a OEM dogbone mount powder coated in black with polyurethane bushings for around $85 or so. That's just a couple $$ more than the OEM dogbone mount (at ECS, it's nearly $120 from the stealership). It's called ECS Ultimate Dogbone Mount. However, I'm not too sure if it will fix the issues. I have the part waiting for installation. I will let you know how it goes after I find time to put it in. Let me know if you feel a difference from the tranny fluid change, I might do that too if it's worth it.
How is it you have an auto if your car is a gli? Someone step in if I'm wrong but i do believe they were ONLY offered in a 6spd manual ??? Must be something they did differently in 05.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
How is it you have an auto if your car is a gli? Someone step in if I'm wrong but i do believe they were ONLY offered in a 6spd manual ??? Must be something they did differently in 05.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05s come with triptronic auto 04.5s don't. Everything else on the 05s is the same except I dont think they come with the GLI badge in the front grill.

Sent with my Atrix from da Matrix!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 1.8T, 150k. I have a similar problem to the OP. Mine shifts normally until shifting to 3rd. If I'm starting from a stop light, for example, it will "jolt" or almost act like it's braking, then shift. It's smoother when I put my foot down harder, oddly. If I let up on the gas when it's shifting to 3rd, it shifts harder.

Tiptronic doesn't really effect it. I can, however, get it to shift smoother by letting it rev higher in 2nd before shifting. It really is quite annoying, and more than a little concerning. I have also wondered if a trans fluid replacement would help. Someone else suggested to me that it might be a problem with the car's chip, and it might need reprogramming. Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a quick update if it helps anyone with a similar problem.

While working on something else on my car, I disconnected the battery for safety's sake. I reconnected it and allowed the car to idle for a while [since the battery being disconnected reset the ECU, TCU, etc.]. When I drove it again, to my surprise, the rough shift was vastly smoother! It's been a couple days, and it's still operating smoothly. Makes me think it might be a sensor or TCU error throwing the tranny off. I'll be checking my sensors now.

Give it a shot. If it improves things it might be computer related. Just a thought.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had basicaly the same problem just shifted alot harder. ANd the people at aamco said ide need to replace the tranny. the next day worked fine and has worked great since. Didnt even do a fluid change but it solved itself

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tranny fluid change solved my problems... and only cost me $90, i don't think that is too bad considering the dealership wanted over $390 to change fluid.

·
Registered
148 Posts
tranny fluid change solved my problems... and only cost me $90, i don't think that is too bad considering the dealership wanted over $390 to change fluid.

Good info, I will have to add that to my list of things to do soon. I just hope I can find a place to get it done at. Did you go to a commercial shop or local? And for added comfort I would highly recommend a new dogbone mount. Fairly cheap and very easy to install. Makes a huge difference on shifting too. Definitely a better shift than before, but I'm still getting that slow shift from 2nd to 3rd on a cold engine.

And to earlier posts. I do drive an 05 MK4 triptronic GLI. Had the front and rear badges. Picked it up with 61k mi 2 years ago for $9k with a KBB of $14k. Although I do wish I would have just spent over $10k for a good low mileage manual. Only bought the auto since my brother totalled his 04 GLI and was going to get his tranny for $500. But the other side of the buy back from insur. fell through so I got stuck with an auto :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wife's 05' 1.8t auto gli came with only the rear badge. Transmission is acting up as everyone else describes above. I put the transmission in the so called manual shift mode and it does not work. It just runs/shifts through all the gears as if its the trannny is in just normal D mode. I thought it was supposed to lock the tranny in a particular gear?

·
Fukenmüven
1,014 Posts
firstly, thats a common misconception, its a safe guard that all cars with slap-stick transmissions have. its keeps from destroying the engine and or transmission. secondly, this thread had been dead for nearly two years so rather than bringing back an old thread, why not ask your question in a new thread.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
It should stay in the gear you have it in. It will downshift on its own as you slow down or come to a stop. I believe when you redline it, it will shift on its own. Since this thread is back from the dead. I'm gonna throw in my issue as well. When my car is still cold, going from 2nd to 3rd shifts. It pretty rough, then 3rd to 4th is seems to slip. It seems to shift smooth if I baby it until it gets to warming temperature. It will drive fine once warm, except for the slight slipping from 3rd to 4th.

·
Registered
32 Posts
firstly, thats a common misconception, its a safe guard that all cars with slap-stick transmissions have. its keeps from destroying the engine and or transmission. secondly, this thread had been dead for nearly two years so rather than bringing back an old thread, why not ask your question in a new thread.
Thanks for the help, first of all I was accessing the website through a phone app and the thread dates aren't exactly apparent. Secondly, I was actually looking to hear some feedback from the original posters as to the outcome of their problems. I am pretty much trying to figure out if my car was worth holding onto or selling. I am waiting on parts now in the mail to do a transmission fluid change. If this does not help the situation than I will probably look to sell the car. What a shame, I was really growing a liking to it and was hoping on trying to add some nice mods. I picked up the car last year and the wife put on at least 10k miles on it with no problems. Car is somewhere around 140k miles. I will see what happens.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts