Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
281 - 286 of 286 Posts

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
Ian's blew at 80k. Was not beat on in his possession, and I doubt the previous owner beat on it considering who he is and how well each of his cars were cared for. Had another buddy with a tuned gti blow it around 100k, was not beat on. In fact out of the 5-6 people I know of, only one of them beat on their car. Maybe it's the tune, but I have seen too many 1.8t's turn into headaches for me to ever even consider owning one.

Sent from some shitty app.
i dont know what yall are doing over there, must be your tuning. because for how often im in the shop, and how many cars i see come in and go ( id estimate in the 3000s) a blown turbo is a shocker on anything vw they have done a great job on them

sold my last 1.8t b5 passat with 300k, did the water pump and timing belt for a THIRD time (thats right, that beast survived 3 timing belts/waterpumps) right before we sold it for 3500$ with ORIGINAL turbo. other than a few thermostats, a wheel bearing, several brake and rotor replacements and some tierods, all usual mileage, that car was a champ.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i've seen a couple tuned 1.8T's blow turbos. but it was always 'user-error'. Running too much boost with failed DV's. Ignoring CEL. Running the car pretty much out of oil. Running 10w30 non-synthetic oil. Idiot moves, or thinking the backpressure flutter through the turbo sounded cool. NEVER have seen a turbo fail in a propperly serviced car. I service a 2001 1.8T for a friend that has 483,000 km's. 4 timing belts and 3 waterpumps, front axles both replaced twice, 2nd auto transmission replacement, 2 forge DV's replaced, bushings, gaskets, and countless other repairs, but still factory k3 turbo. Stage 1 APR tune for years with factory exhaust + intercooler. 'Bullet-proof' almost comes to mind :) He's selling it finally because the body is finally showing a couple rust spots. (FYI, still asking $3500 LoL)

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I could buy a second car, I'd go with a 1.8t over a vr only because I feel volkswagens belong with 4 bangers. A vr is a pretty powerful engine but it just doesn't have the same feel as the 4 cylinder cars, specially when you're talking about cornering. Not for nothing, Low, stiff, light and balanced is what made VW such a desirable vehicle in the autocross scene in the 80's and 90's. Times are changing and more power is a demand and so they engineer bigger more capable motors, nothing wrong with that but, wouldn't you want to stick to the roots if you're at all concerned about performance?

·
Registered
62 Posts
with a few mods the 1.8 is going to be better, but the 1.8 will never sound as good as the vr6 I've tried :(

281 - 286 of 286 Posts