Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a '84 Jetta GLI in a trade a few months back. It had some front end issues that I tackled. But I never really paid attention to the sub frame until I finished replacing all the bushings in the front end and still had a camber/toe alignment issue. It then dawned on me that my sub frame was tweaked on the driver side.

Here is a few pics of the issue:

So my questions are... Is the sub frame replaceable like on the mk2's? Or is the car body junk now? Unless I can find someone that can straighten it maybe? And if it is replaceable, will only the Jetta sub frame fit it? Or does the GTI/Rabbit or Cabriolet sub frame work as well?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
I picked up a '84 Jetta GLI in a trade a few months back. It had some front end issues that I tackled. But I never really paid attention to the sub frame until I finished replacing all the bushings in the front end and still had a camber/toe alignment issue. It then dawned on me that my sub frame was tweaked on the driver side.

Here is a few pics of the issue:

So my questions are... Is the sub frame replaceable like on the mk2's? Or is the car body junk now? Unless I can find someone that can straighten it maybe? And if it is replaceable, will only the Jetta sub frame fit it? Or does the GTI/Rabbit or Cabriolet sub frame work as well?
You can always take it to a good body shop... Some have machines called ''Frame pullers'' that literally straighten out the frame of the car.

What bushings did you replace?

From what I understand, MKII, III, and IV control arms are identical? Could just be the bushings, I'm not sure. But it does look like your wheel is a little further back than it should be. Again, could be the control arm, or it could even be your coilovers. What were your caster numbers? Were they real positive? Camber numbers are definitly negative on your car...

Your camber issue... Where the wheels stick outward at the bottom, and in at the top, would be due to lowering springs or a sagged front end.. New coilovers would fix that part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the strut bushings, the ball joint, and the control arm bushings with poly ones. The control arms themselves looked fine. I did just add in some H&R springs in the front. Only a 1" drop though. The camber was well off before hand though.

After I took the pic of the wheel pushed back... I compared the bolts for the front of the control arms. The one on the driver side is noticably pushed towards the outside of the car.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Best bet at that point would probably be a shop with a frame puller..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just the factory ones. The are adjusted the all the way the can to lvl out the wheel... But it is still cambered because the front subframe arm is pulled out some how.

·
Registered
6 Posts
there is no "subframe" in a MKI. the control arms are not the same as the others.

you have a TON of positive caster. have you check your alignment? tie rods? balljoints? is the frame rail bent?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts