Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you remove the air hose going to the fuel pressure regulator and you smell fuel or its squirting fuel then that would explain the fuel smell in oil. regulator is an easy replacement two Phillips screws.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not getting any fuel to the injector pump. I took off the intake line to the injector pump from the fuel filter and than took out the line from the tank to test flow and nothing. My jetta is a 92 diesel I replace the fuel sending unit in the tank, though it was just a something to read the fuel level though, not a pump. I will check out the one under the drivers side, Thanks for the help
are any of your fuel pumps getting any power ?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I wanted to replace the fuel pressure regulator before I replaced any pump, because (and if you watch the video, it kind of verifies it) it seems to run okay for a minute, and then, it's like it gets starved for fuel, but from what I've found, they're pretty danged spendy! I haven't turned up the idle at all, because when it is idling good, it is around 800 RPM, which, I think, is what the Bently recommends. I drove it to work last week, just to get things moving and charge the battery, and, something I thought was odd, when it's "hot", it seems to want to idle just fine. Hmmm... I was also able to locate my transmission ID#, and verified that I needed a 100mm axle hub, so thank you for that, Skimmer! I have one on order from ECS, and it should be here this week sometime. I'll keep posting, maybe sporadically, until I get this sucker running right! Oh, one other thing that is an improvement, I pulled a spark plug, and it's a nice tan, as opposed to the black, fluffy carbon I had before... so I am getting places... slowly!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and it runs MUCH more smoothly than before. She'll idle after a quick warm up, and everything. Several questions remain, as we are still not at 100%: Why would it be, that if I am above about 2k RPM, if I put in the clutch, it'll stall... she does that at any RPM. If I put in the clutch, the RPM's drop way down, and then recover. Also, I got my new axle, and it comes with a pack of grease. The only place I can see to put anything is on the transmission end of the axle, and do I need to "press" it in? I'm also kicking around the idea of putting the original ECU back in, since there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it. The one I replaced it with, is an eBay purchase out of a '88 or '90 Golf, 1.8L 8 valve, so I thought it'd be compatible, but now I wonder, as everything seemed to tank when I changed ECU's. Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Quick update, as I am feeling a little distraught... I was fairly excited to get the CV axle changed out, everything was working out perfect... Got the old axle out, greased up the new one in the vise, placed my new gasket, took it over to the car, went to put the little washer-things on, with a couple of newly cleaned bolts... and the holes don't line up! They're all off by just a hair (and by hair, I mean 1/16"-3/32")... I sat, dejected, in the driveway and checked each one, but, alas... I think I needed to get the 90mm hub, not the 100. That's the only answer I can come up with, even though it doesn't make sense, cause I checked my tranny code against the list... Guess I'll be getting ahold of ECS and seeing what their return policy is... Thank goodness it's still 5 months until it's too cold to ride the motorcycle!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay! Apologies to anyone following this thread! I could not log in after the whole security breech, but got a new password today! Lots of news here; first, it did end up being the 90mm axle flange. I replaced it, and it's working just fine. Also, the whole issue with my idle ended up being the Air Flow Meter (not a MAF, as pointed out in another thread, but an AFM). Changed that out, she purrs like a kitten. I've been driving all over the place! I also figured out what's up with my mileage. I noticed one day that my odometer just quit working, and turns out it will do that every so often, for about 20-30 miles, and then start working again. That explains my poor mileage, I thought. So, to test my theory, I drove from my house, in Central Washington State, to my inlaws over by Seattle, about 200 miles, then, did the math when I topped off the tank. Turns out, I used 6.4 gallons of fuel in 200 miles, or, about 31 miles to the gallon. So, that's where I'm at now... pretty happy! It still bucks and misses slightly when attempting to hold the throttle steady at about 2k RPM, so I have an oxygen sensor on order, that should be here in a few days, and I'm hoping that will totally clear it up. Either way, I now have a fairly reliable car for the winter now. Thanks to everyone who helped out and/or threw in opinions and advice while I tried to figure this out. And, hopefully, this thread will be able to help someone else in the future.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts