Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help in determining what the issue is on my 99.5 automatic jetta GLS. The car won't even turnover. There is no clicking sound coming from the solenoid when ignition is started either. I thought this meant it would be battery or fault somewhere in the trigger wire but I have over 12 volts coming from my battery and at the end of my trigger wire, I also am getting just under 12 volts when turning the ignition key. Is there a way to manually bypass the ignition to see if it is a starter or solenoid problem. I've heard you can just take a 12 volt wire and put it to the positive side of the battery and touch the other end to the prong where the trigger wire connects to? Also all lights, security alarm etc work, I just don't get anything when I try to start the car. It randomly would not start on me at a gas station and had to get it towed home. What are the chances... I would rather find the problem first before I have to take it to the shop to troubleshoot it and they tell me there is a lot more wrong then there actually is.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I didn't get an answer so I just ordered a new started and am going to try it out. One question though, I removed all wires and bolts except the top 5 or so inch bolt (theres 2, one in top and one bottom). I can't get the top one out, it unthreaded but theres another slot it needs to pull through that it won't go through, is this slot also threaded as the bottom one wasn't and pulled right out? Does the bottom one need to stay in and the top one out first? Or do I need to support the engine to get it out? This bolt is the only thing holdering the started in as it has slid out but just hanging by this last bolt,,,

·
Asshat Patrol
1,829 Posts
There is a tool that you can connect to your battery and it will tell you whether your battery, solenoid or starter is junk. Don't know what its called but a local auto store would know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.