Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 mk4 2.0 electrical drain!! help cannot isolate drain
So... I've been through a week of testing now to no avail.. I just put a new battery, and ignition switch in it... The car dies if it sits for more than 2 days... The alt puts out 14.2 v at idle... I've pulled the load reduction relay overnight, unhooked the radio, monsoon amp, pulled the trunk and glovebox lights... Still dies overnight .. With the car off and once it sits and goes to sleep mode my interior fuse panel has power in a bunch of fuses. The sunroof, heated seats, radio, ECM, cig lighter, trunk 12v plug and a few others ... I don't believe the ccm (comfort control module) is bad because everything still works (mirrors, windows , sunroof, power locks ect still work..I'm at the point where I'm stumped.. I have a pioneer double din 3600 installed and the only power it draws is the constant for the clock and station presets... It shuts off once the key is pulled ..I don't understand why the interior fuses pull power when the car is off... The alt isn't drawing and neither is the starter.. The three grounds under the battery are all clean and secure.. If anyone has had this problem or has any advice it would be awesome!! I've done a draw test but no luck so many fuses are pulling power that I cannot isolate it to one circuit !! Please help!! And thanks-Cody
Also I have halo headlight which I also disconnected but still drains

·
Registered
113 Posts
when was the last time you noticed it was normal and what was the last electrical related mod you have done?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stereo was the last thing.. The car had halos when I bought it a month ago... Like I said unplugged the radio harness and it still draws..... Is it normal for the sunroof and heated seats fuse to have constant power while the cars off? The sunroof won't open. Or anything but the fuse shows power... The stereo is wired correctly I bought the monsoon harness from metra and have removed the cd changer in the trunk... The only hot wire is the yellow 12v constant power... The red switches off with the ignition...I heard of the fuse box having a problem with overheating and shorting out but I have had it out and there's no evidence of heat... I'm going to pull the ccm tomorrow if I can locate it .. I believe it's under the carpet by the hood latch ... Maybe corrosion causing a short not quite sure...

·
Registered
113 Posts
The stereo was the last thing.. The car had halos when I bought it a month ago... Like I said unplugged the radio harness and it still draws..... Is it normal for the sunroof and heated seats fuse to have constant power while the cars off? The sunroof won't open. Or anything but the fuse shows power... The stereo is wired correctly I bought the monsoon harness from metra and have removed the cd changer in the trunk... The only hot wire is the yellow 12v constant power... The red switches off with the ignition...I heard of the fuse box having a problem with overheating and shorting out but I have had it out and there's no evidence of heat... I'm going to pull the ccm tomorrow if I can locate it .. I believe it's under the carpet by the hood latch ... Maybe corrosion causing a short not quite sure...
Don't quote me on it but I think it's by the gas pedal just to the right. Small black panel held in by one screw, take that off and I think you will find it there. If you have a leaky heater core then it's possible it is leaking onto it? I'm not really sure but def retrace your steps with the stereo wiring. take your time and go through every wire you added or connected and make sure the amp turns off with the ignition off and car locked. I had something weird happen to mine where the amp was staying on even after the car was off and doors locked. I had the back seat down to view the amp from the outside. No matter what I did it would stay on until I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Basically whatever it was, the power was still being supplied to the switched power when it shouldn't have been. I'm not sure wth happened but it's possible you have a similar situation and possibly caused by a different problem. Bad computer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the ccm appears fine no corrosion or loose wires ... It was drawing 3.25a ... When I put the multimeter from neg post to neg cable it spikes to 3.25 then drops to .46ma .. I pulled the load reduction relay and it was hot and the prongs are discolored from the heat ... Replaced it today ... Hope she starts in the am!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took your advice ... I have an aftermarket pioneer avh3600 bth head unit installed and the wiring harness from metra has no prongs where my stock harness does .... Came to find out that the amp wasn't getting a signal to power down and had 3 constant hot wires. I took a standard relay and hooked into the main power supply of the amp and ran a ground and my white and blue remote wire to it ... Amp shuts off when the radio does now!!! Problem solved ... There's a video on YouTube if anyone else experiences this

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I ended up removing the monsoon amp, since i don't use it anyways. I now have a brand new battery because of that stupid current draw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just running stock speakers which actually sound pretty good... Had to get the two lower rears from a junkyard , the cones in mine were detached... This is day two and the battery is still holding!! Glad I finally have it figured out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts