Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 2001 1.8T Jetta with 190,000 km's, and later on realized that the lady i bought it from has never filled it up with premium gas or used synthetic oil. I was wondering if this could damage the turbo or anything else?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If it came from an old lady she probably drove it like one. You should be ok as long as the oil was changed on time and using reg. octane gas shouldn't have done much, if anything, if she drove it like a granny. No CEL's? Good to go imo. BUT you've got about 120k miles(ish) so you will probably run into the normal problems like water pump and timing belt and the other usual suspects of a high mileage engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but premium is "recommended" for the 1.8t cars, but not required? Obviously premium will make the car feel better, but if you use regular the computer will just pull timing and the engine will not make as much power.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
All correct.

Should be good to go man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it says premium fuel only, but everything runs smooth and i can hear the turbo so i dont think anything is wrong, just thought it might wreck it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
[rule] I'm a stickler for going by the book but if Boost says it's ok I'll believe him. :p But I just read somewhere that some 1.8t's have the VVT, is that what the difference is in the new vs old one? Kinda like the VR6 12v vs 24v?

·
Registered
260 Posts
[rule] I'm a stickler for going by the book but if Boost says it's ok I'll believe him. :p But I just read somewhere that some 1.8t's have the VVT, is that what the difference is in the new vs old one? Kinda like the VR6 12v vs 24v?
yeah, it's similar. IIRC his has VVT.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Yea I think the older ones do. Not sure though.

It IS best to run 93 octane, but you can run lower grades if you want... Well, atleast that's the case with non ethanol gas. I dunno with all this garbage they're putting in there now.... It used to be that if the lower octane caused x amount of knock, the engine immediately pulled timing to accomidate. But since ethanol straight has 113 octane, who knows what it does to the gasoline..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts