Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car details: 2001 mk4 jetta gls 2.0 4 cylinder automatic 130k mileage
Issue: This afternoon i started my car just like any other time, started driving and as i left off the gas a metal rattle sound appeared. The sound only occurs when either the car is in park and idling, or when i let off the gas. As soon as i put any pressure on the gas the rattle immediately goes away. I haven't been able to get under to check for loose mounts, or a heat shield (will do in the morning and post an update). So far before starting the car i checked all my fluid level, which were all good, my belts are good, no play in the alternator, or steering pump. Then i started the car and did a walk around to try to pin point an area where the sound is coming from, and it sounds like in the area around the flex pipe/fire wall , in the middle of car. I have googled and checked countless threads but can only find issues for manual trans., and turbos. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It could be anything, you need to try and pin point the sound and try to rule things out. Can you get under the car and poke around ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
catalytic converter honeycomb, i had the issue its usualy for me around 23-3k rpm some times its a pita. well i still have the issue. right now im addressing my hvac control module lol .

·
Registered
1 Posts
catalytic converter honeycomb, i had the issue its usualy for me around 23-3k rpm some times its a pita. well i still have the issue. right now im addressing my hvac control module lol .
Yep, that or the resonator has a broken weld. tap the cat with a handle or tool (car doesn't need to be running), if rattles, you'll know. I got a good deal on both parts from partstrain.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts