Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VW Jetta VR6 2.8
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2001 Jetta vr6 with the 2.8 about two months ago. We were told it just needed a water pump and coil packs. We put those in along with new radiator, freeze plug, thermostat, injectors, plugs and wires, and new coolant hoses. We have done so much to this car and it still sounds like a diesel when it's running and continuously over heats. We thought handbasket but we don't have any oil in coolant or coolant in oil. It's passed a compression test. The only code comes up is a Cylinder 3 misfire We've checked everything for number three and it's working. I am not sure what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’d change all your plugs and ignition coil wires and coil and clean all electrical connections to injectors look for any damaged or exposed wiring (wiring and pigtails do become brittle and break) be careful with clips for wire connections they can break also. You may score at a junk yard or pull a part getting some of these items. Fixing this issue before getting down to the exact issue can become pricey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2001 Jetta vr6 with the 2.8 about two months ago. We were told it just needed a water pump and coil packs. We put those in along with new radiator, freeze plug, thermostat, injectors, plugs and wires, and new coolant hoses. We have done so much to this car and it still sounds like a diesel when it's running and continuously over heats. We thought handbasket but we don't have any oil in coolant or coolant in oil. It's passed a compression test. The only code comes up is a Cylinder 3 misfire We've checked everything for number three and it's working. I am not sure what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas??
In terms of overheating the hoses could be clogged w debris being 20 years old you could do a flush on the system. See if your getting any leaks and make adjustments accordingly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts