Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about about 96,000 miles on my VR6 GLS Automatic. I took it to a shop because it's doing some flare shifting along with a delay in the gas pedal at times. The basic tests they did all went out clean so they next thing they could of done was go more in depth, which would of only resulted in me possibly finding out I need a new transmission; which is a $6,000 job they said. I don't know much about cars, but my buddy does. How hard is it to replace a transmission at home and how much is the transmission it's self? Also is it safe to buy a used one? Would replacing the "lifetime" transmission fluid and the filter help much, they said it was dark but not burnt. Anything helps.

Thanks

·
Cowboy
4,826 Posts
i bought a used one when mine went out and its been great..just ask the guy who is selling it how many miles on,find out how he drove(like a grandma or took it alot to the tracks)...mine, which was a manual transmission i got it for $600 i think and that was shipped. and as for installation they charged me $200...and it only took the guy about 4hours to do it

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
$6000 is way too much get a second opinion and do some research. I'm not sure what automatics are going for but a fresh rebuilt 6 sp. manual is just shy of $2k so maybe $2500-3000 for a rebuilt auto, used should be cheaper depending on mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts