Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for the really simple question, and feel free to redirect me to another thread if this has been asked/answered before!

After a tune up to find out why my engine light has been on, my mechanic told me it was because of a vacuum leak (which explains a lot, considering my car's rough idle).

So my question is how much does this fix usually run? And is the best place to get it fixed a dealership?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's gonna cost you around $550 and will fix your problem. You will also be lower :)

Which I'm gonna assume was the problem with your Jetta. :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Depends on what is leaking haha. If you are patient, vac leaks aren't too terrible to fix. The part that sucks is finding it first. I'm sure a shop would over charge you and change out more **** than what is needed.

It's gonna cost you around $550 and will fix your problem. You will also be lower :)

Which I'm gonna assume was the problem with your Jetta. :eek:
Haha way to not answer the question at all Tyler!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
theirs a few simple ways of finding vacuum leaks. Firstly, check all vacuum lines and hoses you can see... feel them for cracks or tears. Then if you don't see anything, take a can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner and spray it at every hose and around the manifold. If it's sucked in by a leak then you'll notice the engine rpm's fluctuate. If this isn't working you can try a smoke machine/fog machine or a cigarette to blow smoke at the engine. Any vacuum leak will suck the smoke into where it's leaking. FYI: vacuum leak test's should be done with the engine running. I suggest checking the brake booster line, pancake pipe (under passenger side wheel), diverter valve, hockey puck and check around your throttle body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts