Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I'm new around these fancy VW cars so bear with me here. Back in october my wife found a half of firewood somebody lost onto the highway. No body or frame damage but the side curtain and seat airbags, as well as the seatbelt, deployed because it hit the side collision sensor as it rolled under the passenger side. Insurance said totaled wife decided she wanted to keep it. I want to replace the parts myself and get a rebuilt title. its a 2002 GL 2.0 4spdAT

So now for the questions.
1. Do I need EXACT same year airbags for the seat and side curtain, or just any MK4 Jetta?

2. I know I need to replace the Airbag controller and recode it as well. Does anyone know if the code from the original will work in the replacment? (yes I have the HEX+CAN from Ross-tech)

3. Picked up seatbelt already from 00 jetta on ebay. has same connector and everything so will it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Jetta.

If it were me, I'd try and find a way to trick the system into thinking its all there, since i dislike airbags. If airbags are for you though, you might have to use the same mk4 airbags to replace the deployed airbags. I don't believe they are different between the 2000 to 2004 Jetta.

Here's a link that should help you out.

http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/airbags-deployed-what-all-needs-replaced-reset-11058/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link Kidgib. I took a look at it and decided it looked like a project i could take on. I managed to get both the airbags I needed, as well as the seatbelt. I bought a used airbag controller from a 2001 VR6 that was not wrecked, Just totaled cause the engine gave out HARD (what engine compartment, That hole in front with scrap metal in it?). After plugging it all in and bolting the airbags and seatbelt in place I plugged in the new controller and hooked up the battery. Everything seems to work. Hooked up my vag-com cable and read the new controller, same coding as my old unit and no error codes. I think I may be good to go after a trip to the State patrol office for recert as a rebuilt.

As a note to anyone taking on this stupid project. while it was doable there are plenty of rules on Rebuilding a car after an accident. Make sure you find your state laws and make sure you can actually get a rebuilt title before you bother with it. In my case I needed all invoices regarding all the Major parts involved in the repair. Which means I HAD to buy from a Company or needed a bill of sale notarized from personal individuals. Not as easy as it sounds on paper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts