Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tumblr_n8pltrmVZG1si5u5vo4_500.jpg tumblr_n8pltrmVZG1si5u5vo3_500.jpg
Alright... so heres the deal. I very recently(2 weeksish?) purchased this 2003 1.8T Jetta off of Craigslist. Very fast and I made a very poor decision. My Honda Del Sol was hit, I had no car, this was affordable and looked clean so I went with it. Stupidly enough, a tiny tiny bit of white smoke did come out the day I looked at it. I never expected it to become a full blown problem.
I've done a ton of research and have had multiple people try to look at the car, but I'm stumped.
I'm not too good knowledgeable at all I will admit. Not really sure what I am doing. Again, I made a stupid decision. I liked the car, wanted the car, and wanted to learn as I go.
The problem is that white smoke pours from the exhaust. It smells bad. Not good at all, its not black or blue, but white. And I mean a lot. It happens after driving for around 10 minutes at the most. After that, at every stop light or anything the car will billow smoke. It's embarrassing, but besides that it seems almost harmless? The car is driving just fine, shifts fine, ect. makes no weird noises. But it's a lot of smoke, usually starts while idling at a red light or if thruway driving, at the tolls. Usually goes away after I accelerate to 3rd gear, and only comes back when idling. The second day I had the car though, the check engine light came on only to go back off. So did the oil light, so I added oil.
Im assuming its the turbo. Coolant and oil are both not leaking. All I really have is this picture of the smoke and this information, but if someone could please help that would be wonderful. I'm super new to cars and VWs.
My real question though is, does it seem like the turbo is going? And is it worth it to pay to replace the turbo- or try to sell the car as is and purchase something else? Otherwise, the car is is perfect condition.
I can provide any more information needed, thank youuuu for the help ahead of time!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Sounds like the turbo to me. I blew my turbo the first day i got my Jetta. It would be worth it to replace it or look into upgrading it. I would do alot of research before you make the decision on upgrading. Get familiar with the vehicle and all its components. I went with a new Ko3 turbo and she is running great so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 25609 View attachment 25617
Alright... so heres the deal. I very recently(2 weeksish?) purchased this 2003 1.8T Jetta off of Craigslist. Very fast and I made a very poor decision. My Honda Del Sol was hit, I had no car, this was affordable and looked clean so I went with it. Stupidly enough, a tiny tiny bit of white smoke did come out the day I looked at it. I never expected it to become a full blown problem.
I've done a ton of research and have had multiple people try to look at the car, but I'm stumped.
I'm not too good knowledgeable at all I will admit. Not really sure what I am doing. Again, I made a stupid decision. I liked the car, wanted the car, and wanted to learn as I go.
The problem is that white smoke pours from the exhaust. It smells bad. Not good at all, its not black or blue, but white. And I mean a lot. It happens after driving for around 10 minutes at the most. After that, at every stop light or anything the car will billow smoke. It's embarrassing, but besides that it seems almost harmless? The car is driving just fine, shifts fine, ect. makes no weird noises. But it's a lot of smoke, usually starts while idling at a red light or if thruway driving, at the tolls. Usually goes away after I accelerate to 3rd gear, and only comes back when idling. The second day I had the car though, the check engine light came on only to go back off. So did the oil light, so I added oil.
Im assuming its the turbo. Coolant and oil are both not leaking. All I really have is this picture of the smoke and this information, but if someone could please help that would be wonderful. I'm super new to cars and VWs.
My real question though is, does it seem like the turbo is going? And is it worth it to pay to replace the turbo- or try to sell the car as is and purchase something else? Otherwise, the car is is perfect condition.
I can provide any more information needed, thank youuuu for the help ahead of time!
have you had anyluck with your issue...i have a 2003 jetta 1.8t and had it one day and have exact same issue ive been told head gasket or turbo but seems like water in the exhaust ...a ton of white smoke .whats my next move ...how do i diagnois this issue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts