Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I got my timing belt changed 3 months ago perhaps I have 15k or less on the new belt ( all components were changed with new parts, timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump ) from a trusted source.

It's starting get cold in Ontario, it was raining and nasty out last night I got about 2 km from my home before the engine abruptly stopped while attempting to accelerate ( was going about 40 kmph at less than 2000 RPM) I heard a slap which was the timing belt.

At first, I thought my battery came loose from the harness as I got it jumped 3 days ago from CAA and was told the battery was failing and he was wiggling it around and such. I pushed the car home and had a better look at it today with a newly purchased battery.

I went to crank it and it wouldn't turn almost like there was resistance I got a little scared and inspected the engine and the housing for anything weird, I thought id check out the belt for good measure; surprise it was blown off! to be clear the engine will not start at all, starter engages but there is no engine movement.

So my question(s) are based on how to assess the damage so I can calculate time and parts and what to expect but also to understand better.

I can confirm 110% sure the belt is off and broken I am fairly mechanically inclined and can diagnose most stuff, but do not have the tools to dig.

From my understanding when there is a timing belt failure when the system is running damage most likely occurs? correct me if i'm wrong but it's the pistons and valves; with the valves getting bent my questions are below and please feel free to add your own stuff and expand if you wish.

1. Do the valves always bend?
  2. Do the piston(s) occur damage?
  3. How to access the damage with limited tools?
  4. What other parts get damaged if they do?
  5. Expected ball-park cost in USD or CAD ( doesn't really matter I can estimate )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further investigation; I guess the way to check would be to take the top head off and look at all 16 valves and the form of the piston to see if it had any obvious damage? what's the likelihood of the bottom on the engine being damaged by this event?? from what I understand it's more or less the top unless a valve actually detached and damaged the cylinder walls? I can't say this with certainty but it seems highly unlikely in my case, the engine cut almost immediately from the second I head the belt slap the T-belt housing pieces.. but engines do tend to go pretty fast so who knows!

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
I can pretty much say for certain your valves are making contact with the piston. The question is how bad is it? You may be able to get away with some head work but you won't know until you pull the head off. Now, what kind of RPM are we talking about? You very well could have piston damage. You could try removing the glow plugs and inspecting the top of the pistons with an inspection camera to possibly determine the damage. If you do decide to tackle this yourself it's going to be a very involved repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts