Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05.5 shifts hard in all gears, but only about half of the time. Several times a week it gets stuck in a random forward gear, and wont shift. The shifter won't engage manual shifting either when it does this. If I pull over, turn off the engine, and wait about 30 seconds, the transmission functions again.
I'm thinking it's an electronic issue because it resets itself upon starting. It may be helpful to know that the transmission was pulled to replace a stretched timing chain about a year before the problem started, and my dealer did a crap job. They forgot to tighten some bolts on the suspension when it was put back together, and it took about 6-8 months for the bolts to loosen enough to cause a noticeable problem. in addition to trashing my control arm bushing, it needed transmission mounts replaced. The dealer wouldn't accept responsibility, so I have no faith that the transmission and whatever else they removed was reinstalled properly. Constantly replacing fouled spark plugs since that event too.
Anyone had a shifting issue like this before? Thanx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly, never in the 3 1/2 yrs I've had it. There is always some other thing that needs attention more on the car. Honestly, at 25000 miles a year it held up great so far. I just didn't expect the repairs to be so expensive, for everything! Looks like my dream of not having to fix my own cars anymore isn't going to come true, lol!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I imagine you have more than 100k miles so warranty work is out of the question.. sounds like the valve body to me because of the hard shifts, but stuck in gear you got me on that..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I imagine its cheaper to rebuild and replace the solenoids.. but is it worth the time if you are not experienced in trans stuff.. Post up a how to or post pics on the process.. I would love to see this done so it will motovate me... :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
i bought a new valve body from someone for 400 brand new or you can go on ebay and buy a re manufactured valve body with upgraded soleniods and shift kit install on new body and they come with a 1 year warrenty and the removal of the valve body looks like a hour and half job from what i have rread and pretty straight forward

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.