Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 10 months I have been trying to find a solution to my check engine light issue. Went to 3 different mechanics all of which read the same fault (420) that recommended a new catalytic converter to pass the the smog check. In the last 2 months, the light turned off and back on several times, which prompted me to take the car back in. It was suggested that I took my car to my dealership to try to upgrade to the latest software hoping this would clear the code thinking maybe it was a computer problem. Dealership gladly took my car in and after keeping it for 4 hours and charging me the usual 19 point inspection fees, returned it notifying me there was no new software for the model I was driving. The next time the light went off, I decided to take it to a new smog center where my car passed emissions test with flying colors. I understand this is rare, but now the light is back on and I need to sell the car making it extremely difficult. First, because I don't want to simply clear the codes and scam someone, and secondly because I know now that my car doesn't need a catalytic converter. If it did, it wouldn't have passed smog. Any thoughts? this is so frustrating. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad bank one bank three o2 sensor? Exhaust leak upstream of cat? Is your car in closed loop management either immediately before or after the light comes on? Do uou have vcds or obd11? I would invest in that before I gave the dealer more money. There is an absolute wealth of diagnostic data that will most likely get you to the source of the problem. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts