Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Jetta City 2.0L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2009 Jetta City as my first car. I had to put around 10 hours into grinding off rust around the rockers and applying a rocker guard and a pit of paint up the quarter panels. Then it needed a new headlight and a few other minor fixes for safety. Anyway it's running now, insured and registered.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the specs of the stock receiver and door speakers. I'm looking to upgrade these components and see if it sounds good to me before just going all in on a sub and amp for the trunk.

Id be glad to hear any opinions on what a decent upgrade would look like. My price range at this point is around $500 and I'm looking to install everything myself, which means my knowledge is limited.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfamiliar with city jetta. Do you have an amplifier under drivers seat? Any steering wheel controls? Bluetooth, xm, etc.? I believe the factory hu is something like 20wx4.

·
Registered
2009 Jetta City 2.0L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfamiliar with city jetta. Do you have an amplifier under drivers seat? Any steering wheel controls? Bluetooth, xm, etc.? I believe the factory hu is something like 20wx4.
In the audio system handbook is says my receiver is 4×20w which supplies each of my door speakers. There is no amp under the seat unfortunately. At this point I'm leaning towards getting a cheaper end sub and amp for the trunk as I feel like 20w to each door might not be enough to power a good speaker. It would be nice to know what's in the door without taking the panel off though.

What's your opinion on this? Does this sound like a reasonable upgrade?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have a 6 3/4 “midwoofer” in front doors for sure. My 05.5 pkg 2 came with 6 3/4,4, and 1 1/2 component in front and 6 3/4, 1 1/2 in rear. I still have the same set up. Upgraded to kicker comp components and jl power wedge 10x2 on a monoblock class d my door speakers are still just running of factory amp. But you will need the spacers for the front. Window conflict. Also be aware, vw used friggin rivets to attach speakers so have a drill and some machine class #10 nuts and bolts and locktite. Not hard just a WTF moment when I took my door card off.

Helpful hint. The door skin on our cars comes off if needed. If you go that route i will help you throuth the door handle removal process. Clever germans!

·
Registered
2009 Jetta City 2.0L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking at getting this sub with an amp built in. I'm not super confident on wiring it up myself but with some help from my Dad I think we could get it hooked up. Then at some later point I'll replace the door speakers with some 2 or 3 ways and wire them up to my receiver.

Kijiji sub:
The guy said there is a bit of a tear on the one sub. Now for this price I'm thinking I could just live with that. What do you think?

Precision acoustics car subs 2 x10” ,

·
Registered
2009 Jetta City 2.0L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: So I went ahead and bought a subwoofer. Bought this used Precision Acoustics sub. I got it from an old friend for 80 bucks but unfortunately have never heard it. Its 2 10" subs is a Precision box with a 200w Precision amp. Some research has told be that Precision is not a great manufacturer for for the price I payed I can live with that. At some point I can always upgrade the subs if needed. I got the 8 gauge wires, on/off wire, and fuse today at Canadian Tire (Canada's #1 hardware store for all of you living south of me aha) and will likely run up the fuse and power line and ground line tomorrow.

Then I decided to order a new receiver to see if that gives the midwoofers in 2 tweeters a bit more clarity. I got a BOSS model that is running 4x80w so a big boost from the stock 4x20. It's also got a nice 6" display which might impress the girls, I could play a movie for us on a long ride or something, if not I'll appreciate it myself. Bluetooth will be real nice as well, hitting the aux cord every time I shift into 3rd is starting to get to me. So when that comes in I'll put it in and run the RCA and on/off wire to the back and hopefully... if I can manage to do it all correctly, I'll be good to go.

I'll be sure to upload some pictures of the finished product as well as a bit of a demo video. Maybe I'll even bring out one of my Dad's mics to try and get better sound quality.

·
Registered
2009 Jetta City 2.0L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anybody give me some advice on the wiring here? I've been searching the internet looking for a wiring diagram or a video on which wire I'm going to need to splice and run back to the amp. It seems like there isn't much info of the City model of the Jetta. Anybody know if the same radio as mine is in another Jetta? Any info would be helpful.

Here's a photo of my radio. I am waiting on Amazon to send me the key tool needed to pop the radio out. Once I get it I will upload a photo of the wiring on the back of the receiver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2010 Jetta 2.5 our radios are close, few extra buttons, but the dislike for the 3.5 mm jack is the same. I had a BOSS radio as well, but returned it, as there was no dials, trying to find/control volume was taking my eyes off the road for too long.

I noticed you have no steering wheel controls either, as a result I went with this unit. I have the remote on the park brake handle, where my thumbs works it quite easily.

In addition, these little babies make hooking up to the OEM radio harness a snap. Not sure if you need the antenna adapter, but I did.

Put the radio in the other day, solder all the connections as the wiring is all done outside the car, making it super easy. I seem to remember there being a "amp wire", but don't quote me. I was thinking amp and sub as well, but after listening thru new system with "Loudness' and EQ" setup, it sounds pretty good,

However I'm old and married, I stopped impressing the girls a long time ago, cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts