Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my first VW and am running into a really frustrating problem. 2010 Jetta SE 2.5l The first 3 months everything was fine. I was driving about 80mph on the highway one day and the steering wheel started to vibrate slightly out of nowhere. it got more intense the farther I went so I pulled off the highway and my brakes were crazy sticky. They were hot and smelled like pads as well. After this happened a few times I randomly pumped up the brakes when I pulled off the road and it seemed to cure the problem. But now this is happening on a daily basis and I am having to pump up the brakes at every stop to ensure this doesn't happen, and sometimes it still does.

It killed my right rear pads and rotors quick and I just had a mechanic replace them yesterday. He told me the caliper was fine and the fronts were all fine. Today, left for work, got up to about 75 mph for 10-15 min. nd again, starts to rub. WTF is going on here. I cant figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
are you confident in the tech that did the work on your brakes? lots of things can be a problem in the calipers which conversely ruin rotors that would cause this and i see a lot of chasing your own tail. Poorly greased slider pins in your calipers cause friction. this over time warps rotors. replacing and or passing the calipers but not replacing the warped rotor will cause both components to yet again fail. Replacing a rotor without greasing the caliper causes once again, another warped rotor. problem one causes problem 2, not fixing either problem together can continue problem 2. Its a huge PITA that causes a lot of owners to run around in circles. That is why i always replace both together. Im not saying this is your problem but you confidently stating that calipers AND rotors are not the culprit will eliminate a lot of possible solutions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you confident in the tech that did the work on your brakes? lots of things can be a problem in the calipers which conversely ruin rotors that would cause this and i see a lot of chasing your own tail. Poorly greased slider pins in your calipers cause friction. this over time warps rotors. replacing and or passing the calipers but not replacing the warped rotor will cause both components to yet again fail. Replacing a rotor without greasing the caliper causes once again, another warped rotor. problem one causes problem 2, not fixing either problem together can continue problem 2. Its a huge PITA that causes a lot of owners to run around in circles. That is why i always replace both together. Im not saying this is your problem but you confidently stating that calipers AND rotors are not the culprit will eliminate a lot of possible solutions.
I honestly do not know his level of expertise personally, he was a friend of a friend that was reccomended to me bc of his experience with VW. I see what your saying about the kind of chain reaction from one thing to another with the slider pins not being properly greased. But, would this cause the caliper to engage randomly while at cruising speed? And the fact that I can pump my brakes really hard at a complete stop and cause the problem to go away... And i feel no pulse or vibration on my brakes when it is operating correctly, only when this happens at speed do I feel the vibration.

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
warped rotors; at low speed a vibration is light to nothing because your pads are crossing the "warp" slowly and at low intervals. At high speed they rub quickly and sporadically rolling over the "warp." pumping fixes the problem if they were not properly bled and you have air in the lines. your master cylinder is essentially working with bad pressure and your pads are inconsistently leaving the rotor. Pumping brings the pressure up. pads hold tight off the rotor, no vibration. bad pressure un-equalizes, pads loosen and find the warp at high speed, vibration returns. Most common occurrence I come across and the first thing i would replace. calipers; properly greased, lines properly bled, good pads, good rotors. Sorry mate, whoever did it last, did it poorly. THAT IS MY FIRST INTUITION AND OPINION. but im not starring at your rotors, some vw tech is and hes told you they're fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
warped rotors; at low speed a vibration is light to nothing because your pads are crossing the "warp" slowly and at low intervals. At high speed they rub quickly and sporadically rolling over the "warp." pumping fixes the problem if they were not properly bled and you have air in the lines. your master cylinder is essentially working with bad pressure and your pads are inconsistently leaving the rotor. Pumping brings the pressure up. pads hold tight off the rotor, no vibration. bad pressure un-equalizes, pads loosen and find the warp at high speed, vibration returns. Most common occurrence I come across and the first thing i would replace. calipers; properly greased, lines properly bled, good pads, good rotors. Sorry mate, whoever did it last, did it poorly. THAT IS MY FIRST INTUITION AND OPINION. but im not starring at your rotors, some vw tech is and hes told you they're fine.
That actually makes perfect sense. I really appreciate it man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts