Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to make this DIY for Seafoming because most of the DIY's out there have broken pics or nothing specifically for the 24v. I like the idea of using the brake booster hose because it's easy to get to, but didn't like that people just dump the seafom into the tube. So I decided to make a hose that will fit the brake booster line so I can suck it up from a container instead.

Items needed for adapter/hose:
(Note: I couldn't find a 5/8 to 1/4 reducer anywhere so if you can find one you just need the first 2 hoses.)

2' of 3/8 OD, 1/4 ID hose
2 1/4" of 5/8 ID hose
1 1/4" of 1/2 OD, 3/8 ID hose
1" of 5/8 OD, 1/2 ID hose
3/8 to 1/4 nylon reducer
Basketball inflation needle

1) Insert the reducer into the 1/2 OD, 3/8 ID tube and be sure it's over all the ridges and a little bit

2) Slide the piece of 5/8 OD, 1/2 ID tube over the first one. If you lick the tube it'll slide on easily and also act as a seal once it dries.

3) Slide the piece of 5/8 ID tube on and be sure to get a couple of the ribs on the reducer to make sure everything stays put.

What is should look like with all the pieces in place:

4) Attach the 1/4 ID hose to the reducer and the inflation needle on the other side.

Now to hookup into the vacuum system. Remove the hose from the brake booster, leaving the elbow connected.

Hook up your new hose to the elbow. The needle on the end of the hose has two holes on it, one on the end and one on the side (This also reduces the amount of ‘vacuum leak’ you get from removing the hose and the engine idles fairly smoothly). Simply stick the needle into the seafoam without submerging the second hole on the side, this will introduce air to the stream and make it foamy, no need to let it breathe, just suck all the seafom until it’s gone.

Sorry about the bad camera video, the white you see going up the line is a foamy mix of seafoam, no worries of hydrolock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X452UHdvEXo

With this method I’ll be sure to do it every other oil change or so since it’s so easy. I’ve got 123k on the clock and after doing this I noticed an immediate and significant improvement in throttle response and off the line power, it no longer wants to bog down when I take off @ < 1500 rpm!

And a little bit of smoke, the neighbor wasn't too happy about it ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3G0VzhQKjk

*Odd text is from cut/past from Word, fixed it... mostly :D

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Nice write up, we have a pretty good DIY for seafoaming but I'll add this one too for the VR owners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This looks pretty solid. I think I'll try it. Can I still put some of it in the oil and gas tanks like the non-VR6 DIY suggestted? Just use the same size amounts?

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
This looks pretty solid. I think I'll try it. Can I still put some of it in the oil and gas tanks like the non-VR6 DIY suggestted? Just use the same size amounts?
Yep, everything is the same as the other diy except hose placement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome. I'm going to try to do this sometime this week. I think I'll skip putting it in the gas tank, but I will do the oil. I need to change the oil before the trip anyway. Nice write-up and thanks for the response Vix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm glad to know that too. I'm pretty sure my wife's is a 12v. I was going to try to make sure before I did this, but I'm glad it's the same for both.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
I'm glad to know that too. I'm pretty sure my wife's is a 12v. I was going to try to make sure before I did this, but I'm glad it's the same for both.
If you can see the spark plugs across the engine than it's a 12v.
12v

24v

·
Registered
17 Posts
HAHA! That top picture looks like you came to my house and took a picture of my wife car, Vix. Thanks for the confirmation though, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A quick question. I know this may seem unrelated, but it came up because I happen to be replacing the vacuum hose that this DIY mentions. The one that connects to the brake booster and back to the manifold. Is that line supposed to be a hard vacuum line? Mine is shot for sure but the local dealership had a hard time matching the part to my vehicle. The part I had is a 1J0-612-041BH and I believe what they had matching my car was the same except it ended in BG. The only reason I ask is because all the vacuum lines I've seen are flexible, even if they are molded.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
A quick question. I know this may seem unrelated, but it came up because I happen to be replacing the vacuum hose that this DIY mentions. The one that connects to the brake booster and back to the manifold. Is that line supposed to be a hard vacuum line? Mine is shot for sure but the local dealership had a hard time matching the part to my vehicle. The part I had is a 1J0-612-041BH and I believe what they had matching my car was the same except it ended in BG. The only reason I ask is because all the vacuum lines I've seen are flexible, even if they are molded.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/1J0612041BH/ES308110/

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's the one. Apparently that part number is for the VR6 with a 5-speed manual. But it's on my car and I have a automatic. The other part (the "correct" one) has a check valve with an auxiliary hose that goes off to the side. But I can't find any connection or vacuum hose that isn't connected to something, and I figure if there was one, I would have gotten a CEL a long time ago. I guess my car is just a weird fluke.

·
Member - VR6 Crew
205 Posts
Pls excuse the noob niativity, but can Seafoam be added directly to the fuel tank? if so, what's the benefit?

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Yes, cleans the fuel injectors and such. You'll need to burn the gas up though, I wouldn't let it sit in there for too long.

·
Member - VR6 Crew
205 Posts
Yes, cleans the fuel injectors and such. You'll need to burn the gas up though, I wouldn't let it sit in there for too long.
Thx Vicky, one more question, with approx 86k on the engine, what frequency would you recommend this be done? I typically drive about 45-50 miles per day as a point of reference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts