Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

97 jetta gl ignition switch?

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Amandas97VW 
#1 ·
Monday morning I couldn't start my car. It would just crank crank and crank. Later that day I tried again this time I tried messing with the position of the key, it fired up after I turned the key full cycle and pushed up. After that it kept starting turning the key normal. I noticed though the engine bogged down for a sec. and idled rough 800-900 fluctuating. This morning tried starting it and after the 3rd crank it fired up. Could this be my ignition switch?

#3 ·
It could be the ignition system. It also sounds like it might be the crankshaft position sensor. When the CPS goes bad, it will crank over but not start after warming up. It will also run really rough when it does fire up.

Does it run rough when accelerating?
Does it stall on you?
And has your gas mileage gone down?

#6 ·
If your not having other symptoms and it fired up by wiggling the key in the ignition. It's probably the ignition switch or something with the ignition lock cylinder. I would start with the switch.

Just a little background. Has the vehicle been maintained and up to date with tune ups?

#7 ·
Ddith me it has. Previous own, I'm starting to think they lied about a few things. mean i honestly don't even know how ma miles it has considering my speedometer works Intermediately
I did just see my coil is melted and pigtail so ignition switch going in today and I just ordered the other two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.