Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6. Tonight, I ran into a problem trying to start the car. First thing I noticed is that when using the key to roll down the windows, the drivers side window will not roll down. Second issue is that when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to start the car, I get nothing. The lights and radio stay on,but I dont even hear a click from the starter.

I noticed that when I do this, the alarm light on the drivers side door lock turns on every time until I put the key in the door and turn it to unlock. I was able to finally start the car after I had my girlfriend hold the door key in the unlock position -while- I'm turning the ignition key over to start the car. I'm honestly stumped. I was wondering if theres another broken wire in the doorjamb, but I just repaired one a few months ago that was triggering the alarm.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. This car is my daily driver and honestly my pride & joy.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
I have a 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6. Tonight, I ran into a problem trying to start the car. First thing I noticed is that when using the key to roll down the windows, the drivers side window will not roll down. Second issue is that when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to start the car, I get nothing. The lights and radio stay on,but I dont even hear a click from the starter.

I noticed that when I do this, the alarm light on the drivers side door lock turns on every time until I put the key in the door and turn it to unlock. I was able to finally start the car after I had my girlfriend hold the door key in the unlock position -while- I'm turning the ignition key over to start the car. I'm honestly stumped. I was wondering if theres another broken wire in the doorjamb, but I just repaired one a few months ago that was triggering the alarm.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. This car is my daily driver and honestly my pride & joy.
when the car's alarm is on it will disable the car, the alarm issue is the cheap soldering or the cheap micro switches vw put into the door lock control, swap this out and you should be good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when the car's alarm is on it will disable the car, the alarm issue is the cheap soldering or the cheap micro switches vw put into the door lock control, swap this out and you should be good
Okay, awesome. I'll check this out in the morning and see if that's what is causing the issue
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I got the issue resolved. Before I went digging to find the alarm control module, I rechecked the wires in the doorjambs rubber boot. The previous repair done by the shop had severed again. Some more wire, solder this time, and some electrical tape later the issue is completely solved. Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts