Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Jetta community! I don't know much about cars, but I'm trying... I can't find a garage near me that seems worth going to twice in a row, and I'm sick of shelling out $$$ just to have doubts about what I'm paying for. If you want something done right, you do it yourself, right?

Well, maybe not in this case - my 99 Jetta GL was doing this thing where I'd drive thru a puddle and it'd bog down and die, and I couldn't start it for half an hour. I talked to friends who know, and looked at my spark plug wires - crumbling away at the distributor cap. So I got replacement wires, cap and rotor, and armed with YouTube, set out on a little DIY adventure! All went well, and I was quite proud when the ol' girl started right up!

However, on my test run, it seems like she's running rough and the check engine light will flash, then be steady, then flash. My first thought was something like "oh crap what'd I do?" :eek: Everything seems secure, and I was careful to make sure everything got installed right, and the dang thing runs...

Now there's one other piece of info - for a while now, the check engine light has been on and steady; a mechanic friend of mine (now moved) diagnosed the error code as a faulty mass airflow sensor and said basically don't sweat it.

But reading on google sort of indicates that this error could cause the rough running that I'm seeing now...so I'm kind of confused. If it's a problem with the maf sensor, why was it running ok before? And if it's not the maf sensor, why is it running rough now? Is there something I goofed up in my DIY plug wire project?? Is it even ok to drive in this condition??

Any advice would be appreciated, I'd sure like to know if I'm killing my car or what to look at next.

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
assuming you had replaced each plug wire individually as you changed them and its not out of time.....Ive done it before

video link just so you can reference from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKELjcqT-oM

in all honesty in regards to your mechanic friend not to go against his credibility but....clean your MAF its a very important part to how your car operates

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
btw flashing CEL means engine misfire, and you do risk doing further damage driving it in this state

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have autozone check your codes for free then repost them here. If its a mass air flow(MAF) you tube has a MAF cleaning procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the advice everyone. I figured I'd better not drive it, so I left it home today. Gargamel, thanks esp. For the firing diagram, luckily I didn't need it.

I'm happy to report that I found the problem and that my ride is running smoother now! I disconnected and re-seated the connections to the distributor cap, and I noticed that there was a loose connection on an adjacent clip. I got that back on snug, and now it's running ok again!

I'm curious though, anyone know what that connector might be? It's a blue plastic connector with a wire clip you pinch, in the area of the number 3 and 4 plugs. I'll try to attach a pic of it later if i can.

After reading up a little, I'm definitely going to clean or replace my MAF sensor, all I need is a special bit to remove it! That sounds more important than I was led to believe.

All's well that ends well; on to the MAF sensor!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link, GM - my engine is a little different, and I didn't see the clip in question. I tried to attach a picture I took of the clip but having a little trouble uploading it from my Win7 64bit laptop. Oh well, was just curious anyway. I'll label it as "makes the engine run like crap" and make sure it stays on snug :p

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
The only blue plug I can think of is for your injectors and there should be 4 of them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts