Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my a/c was upgraded to the newer freon and was working perfect. Then I went driving over the road and now doesn't blow any cold air at all. Do you think my a/c compressor is dead? My freon is completely full.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok a couple things:

1. There is a low and high pressure switch that will shut off the compressor to protect it from too much or too little freon in the system.
2. The only way to tell if the system is full is to either start with an empty system and weigh the amount going in or to remove all the freon and put back the correct weight into the system. Usually done at a shop with a evacuation/filling machine.
3. A proper two gauge R134 set is a bare minimum piece of equipment if you wish to troubleshoot the system yourself. It will get you basic numbers for the low and high side of the system to determine ballpark freon levels. The can at autozone with a single gauge won't cut it.
Most likely your freon level is to low or high causing one of the above switches to keep the compressor clutch from kicking on and making it work as it should.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts