Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at possibly buying a 2010 jetta 2.0 gasrngine,with 106k miles, in immaculate condition, wolfsburg edition, with auto 6-spd, for 5k. I have a 2006 jdtta tdi / auto trans with 305k mi which gets consistently 44 mpg. It needs replacement,although it still runs fine, because it needs a new set of tires and an a/c compressor.
I have a 100 mile commute trip.....around 700 miles a week. So the most important thing is to have nearly the lowest cost per mile. I have to pull a 5x8 trailer once in a very great while, and my jetta tdi pulls it very well. Comfort is second. Diesel is always 10 to 25 cents more than gas. One source says the 2010 jetta. 2.0 w/ auto gets 37mpg hwy, while another source says its 41 hwy. Which is it? Should I stay with the tdi engine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a low mileage 2009 Jetta, Wolfsburg edition and my mileage, around town and some freeway, ranges from around 22 to 27 mpg so those numbers seem a bit high........... at least to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im looking at possibly buying a 2010 jetta 2.0 gasrngine,with 106k miles, in immaculate condition, wolfsburg edition, with auto 6-spd, for 5k. I have a 2006 jdtta tdi / auto trans with 305k mi which gets consistently 44 mpg. It needs replacement,although it still runs fine, because it needs a new set of tires and an a/c compressor.
I have a 100 mile commute trip.....around 700 miles a week. So the most important thing is to have nearly the lowest cost per mile. I have to pull a 5x8 trailer once in a very great while, and my jetta tdi pulls it very well. Comfort is second. Diesel is always 10 to 25 cents more than gas. One source says the 2010 jetta. 2.0 w/ auto gets 37mpg hwy, while another source says its 41 hwy. Which is it? Should I stay with the tdi engine?
While I think you could get around 40mpg with straight hwy miles (I do with my Passat) if driving around 60 - 65 mph, I wouldn't use that number in doing a cost comparison. 28 mpg overall is a top-end number for comparison, IMO. I know my Jetta Tdi was about 30% more fuel efficient overall than that, so if diesel fuel is less than 30% more than regular gas, then the Tdi is a savings, fuel-wise. And it has more low-end torque, for better towing. I loved both of my Tdis. That said, I no longer own a Tdi after the buy back of my 2015 Jetta Tdi. That is when we got a Passat 1.8 Tsi. And I fell in love with that engine--its spunk and fuel efficiency in a car that is very spacious and will go well over 500 miles one one tank full (18 gallon tank).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would never consider the 2.0 turbo because I despise turbos in general mostly because you dont know the history. If somebody gets lazy on maintainence and lets their oil get dirty it can lead to catastrophic turbo failure and that aint a cheap (or fun) repair. All my VW are 2.5 gas aspirated mileage be damned they go to 300K. I just got stuck in Jamestown ND due to a failed Ford turbo the 300 mile tow to Mpls at .06 per mile was only $1800 and the repair? a mere $3K because the burnt blow by oil ruined both catalytic converters. My friend got luck the tow was only $600 because I premier AAA which covers 1 200mile long haul tow per year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts