Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

After a two year layup, I dusted off my Jetta and started bringing it back to life. Between deployments and underway schedules it wasn’t smart to keep my Jetta running in the roads here in the PNW. Now I have discovered I have a problem. I dropped a new battery in, and found that the car won’t stay charge red for more than a day. Read the alternator and it’s pushing 14.5 v, and pulled all the lights on the interior just in case it was a voltage leak from my leds. Still no joy. Now I’m kind of worried cause I need the car to hold a charge for at least 5 days to ship it to my next duty station. Anyone here have any ideas to help me fix my problem?

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
All,

After a two year layup, I dusted off my Jetta and started bringing it back to life. Between deployments and underway schedules it wasn’t smart to keep my Jetta running in the roads here in the PNW. Now I have discovered I have a problem. I dropped a new battery in, and found that the car won’t stay charge red for more than a day. Read the alternator and it’s pushing 14.5 v, and pulled all the lights on the interior just in case it was a voltage leak from my leds. Still no joy. Now I’m kind of worried cause I need the car to hold a charge for at least 5 days to ship it to my next duty station. Anyone here have any ideas to help me fix my problem?
sounds like you have an excessive parasitic draw. You're going to need a DVOM to pinpoint the wource of the draining battery. Here's a good video on explaining how to perform a draw test. If you can't do this test and find the problem before shipping it you could always pull the negative cable while it's in transit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I hooked up my 77III fluke in amp mode and started unplugging fuses. Found the problem in my security system. Slowly worked through all my door locks (trunk, and doors) narrowed it down to the drivers side doors and said F#%k it and swapped the driver and rear door locks.

One of the switches in them were not sensing the door was locked and continuously trying to drive the motor shut.

Now it’s good to go.

Having issues in my transmission still but now my battery doesn’t die after a few days of being parked.

Along with a leak in my coolant system after I had to replace the thermostat and the housing for my temp sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts