Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow junkies, I have a 2000 2.0 GL and I want to know which exhaust will give me the best sound and is legal in CA. Should I get a resonator? Does stainless sound better than aluminzed steel? Can I get it in pieces or do I HAVE to get it in one piece? I can't really tell if it is one whole piece or can be split up. Can I use an exhaust from ANOTHER MODEL YEAR? like mkIII?

I really need help, I've been looking for a while, and have been skeptical to buy because of CA's strict emissions laws. I don't want no cheap crap, I'm looking for breathability and great sound.

These are the questions I have. Any suggestions would be great thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
What engine do you have? No you can't use a MK3 exhaust and I believe you need a special cat to be legal in cali.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
So when you get the exhaust it'll come in pieces and the cat has to be non high flow it'll say legal in all states or legal in all states but ca

Sent from space through a satellite

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
Get a cat back exhaust. It only replaces the piping behind the cat. Its the only way you'll be legal in Cali.

Sent from my Phablet AKA Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE via the dark side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What engine do you have? No you can't use a MK3 exhaust and I believe you need a special cat to be legal in cali.
I have the 2.0 standard non turbo, I know it might not make sense to upgrade, but I'm just trying to make it perform best without swapping out the engine haha. Thanks for the info, so is there really no substitution I can make, I have to get a mkiv exhaust?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when you get the exhaust it'll come in pieces and the cat has to be non high flow it'll say legal in all states or legal in all states but ca

Thats cool so does that mean I could get a cheap pipe and then swap out the muffler for a Borla?
And I like your sent from space quote

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
Yea here's a collar on it now at that will unbolt everything from the cat back

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you everybody, this helps me, I didn't want to have to take it to a shop. Now I am going to do more research on 42DD exhausts :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts