Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so recently i threw the timing belt on my AWW and figured now would be the perfect opportunity to the the BIG swap.
but i need a little expertise.
new valves/ seals and such are on the way.
but im wondering if i got a t3 topmount exhaust manifold( say godspeed for example) would i still be able to fit a holset hy35 under the bonnet? or would it be better to stick with a more normal t3 exhaust configuration? my reason for wanting to go topmount is so i can run a hood cowl and keep the Holset cool and happy. of course i will have to run custom DP, TIP, and FMIC piping, but thats all for later.

i just wanna make sure before i push the "order" button,

heres my basic setup plan:
forged rods/new bearings
stock pistons,(trying to keep a lower compression)
arp headstuds
new valves+seals/seats (all 20 en route)
top mount t3 manifold
adjustable wastegate ran to the downpipe (maybe open idk:D)
hy35 Holset charger
and homemade exhaust/ IC piping
eventually dual valve springs(damn valvetrain is expensive!)

thoughts? flame on. educate.

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
so recently i threw the timing belt on my AWW and figured now would be the perfect opportunity to the the BIG swap.
but i need a little expertise.
new valves/ seals and such are on the way.
but im wondering if i got a t3 topmount exhaust manifold( say godspeed for example) would i still be able to fit a holset hy35 under the bonnet? or would it be better to stick with a more normal t3 exhaust configuration? my reason for wanting to go topmount is so i can run a hood cowl and keep the Holset cool and happy. of course i will have to run custom DP, TIP, and FMIC piping, but thats all for later.

i just wanna make sure before i push the "order" button,

heres my basic setup plan:
forged rods/new bearings
stock pistons,(trying to keep a lower compression)
arp headstuds
new valves+seals/seats (all 20 en route)
top mount t3 manifold
adjustable wastegate ran to the downpipe (maybe open idk:D)
hy35 Holset charger
and homemade exhaust/ IC piping
eventually dual valve springs(damn valvetrain is expensive!)

thoughts? flame on. educate.
Hood cowl on a jetta? Idk mayn BT or not I think the hood cowl would look kinda lame lol but hey to each their own and I'll definitely be waitin for pics! Wish I had the money, the laws, and the knowledge to go crazy.

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hood cowl on a jetta? Idk mayn BT or not I think the hood cowl would look kinda lame lol but hey to each their own and I'll definitely be waitin for pics! Wish I had the money, the laws, and the knowledge to go crazy.
i rigged a cowl hood up on photo shop if you follow the natural contours of the raised center portion of the hood it looks decent. just picture the center part of your hood that is raised, and subtley raise it about an inch, it looks godly. im not talkin no 80s camaro box cowl lol. that would look bogus.
my valves and seals get here thursday! ill inspect em and throw up some pics

but for now. some teasers!

takin er apart

turbo unbolted and ready to lift the head out

and heres the scheme im debating on, i think i want the details to be more copper than the current bronze

still unsure

ideas?

anyone know about top mount clearance?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I think the bronze looks good with white. If you could get the other parts copper plated I'd go with this route. But if not real copper, bronze looks great.

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i cant find the mockup :/ it was on my old laptop.

I think the bronze looks good with white. If you could get the other parts copper plated I'd go with this route. But if not real copper, bronze looks great.
yea i really was hoping for a more coppery look, gonna see if i can find a brighter one, but i think the bronze looks great too

Only bad thing is that white is gonna get SUPER filthy and gonna be a pain to keep looking good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
truuuue. but i plan on tuckin/shavin the bay on it once the components are functional, we did my buddies eg and it was cake.
after that i plan to make a belly pan to cut down on some of the grime. i wanna get it so clean i can just wipe it up with armorall wipes every once in awhile haha,
what else can you guys think of?

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well had a wedding to go to this weekend so i didnt get much done and the head had to sit in the back of my truck :mad: and it got all nasty... love creating more work for myself haha
on to the pics!

finally got crackin

yuck!

in this one you can see a few tweaked valves that shouldnt be open

wimpy kitty baby exhaust mani

inside the manifold, pretty abrasive on the airflow. thinkin about porting these a little and coating em in ceramic (for practice) then giving em to someone in need

exhaust side

inside exhaust side( pretty good amount of deposits)

mmmm nice and bent, notice the impact marks on the top of the exhaust side (this is also the background on my phone haha)

heres the damage on a different set, this is as far as they close lol

tommorows goal is degreasing everthing and the 'ole wire brush treatment. that way i can pull the cammies out and get to those pesky valves and springs without all the gunk haha

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill slap up some more pics tomorrow, the cams are our and im trying to make a valve compressor tool so i can take the seats out and put all mah new goodies in

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry couldnt take pics worked late today:/ 8th day straight >:/
had a quick question tho, i plan on running a wideband and using that as a tuning tool with vag-com cable + lemmiwinks software. so im gonna have to add considerable fueling, can i just run a higher FPR with stock injectors?
or i could i just increase the injector duration using lemmiwinks. i wanna keep the pistons good and wet so i dont run the risk of detonation/total meltdown.
thoughts?
if your real nice youll get moar pics :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
i know its crazy but i was reading on vortex and one of the posts was saying that the awd engine(150hp) has injectors that flow about 317cc/min at 45psi and 369/min at 60psi, and that the others are only 281cc/min at 45psi. i know its a small boost but if this is true you could probably just drop these in from a wrecked 2000 for a little more fuel. but it doesnt make sense that a lower hp engine has bigger injectors so id do a little more research first.

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm noted ill check em out, well stupid ebay seller hasnt shipped me my valve spring compressor set yet and its halting my build! i decided to go against titanium retainers, cause they are only rated for about 10k miles and then they can break, also the double valve springs may be kaput since our 1.8s dont make much power at those high of revs.
anyway are these TYPE and SIZE rods compatible? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/390431360448?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619) i dont want this brand cause i found a guy locally who has a h-beam set that i can mic against these,
and if i did buy these im sure they would break anyway? if his set doesnt match up i might just go eagle or IE rods. more pics when i get my stupid compressor

·
Registered
296 Posts
idk about the sizing but i wouldnt trust them. first of all if oyu read the small print there is no waranty. second i have never heard of them. i dont trust ebay for important parts like rods, turbos, heads, etc. i would go with IE or Eagle. Both are great brands and you know what you have and can be confident in your build.

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol agreed, "forged" in a microwave oven lol, shipper still hasnt shipped my tools:mad: complaint time.
anyone had eagles or IE before? i hear theyre solid. man i just want to rip my valves out already! jeebus!

EDIT: tracking my package on ebay they shipped it from JERSEY to VERMONT. i live in WASHINGTON (not dc), wrooooong direction fellas, no wonder shipping is so expensive, any further from WA and it would be in Nova Scotia for god sake. lame. dont worry, you guys will get your juicy pics when it arrives

·
Registered
296 Posts
i know dont wanna hear it, but we always used eagle in our high hp hondas and they performed really well. never used ie in any application but ive read alot of good reviews on all of their products being top of the line so i wouldnt doubt they will perform well as well. plus i believe my buddy used ie for his tt and said they had the best prices an all the performace parts he bought.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.