Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! This is my first forum/blog so give me some time to get this under my belt... :)

I am the (soon to be) owner of a 2003 jetta gl. The reason I say "soon to be" is because I am about to pay it off. I purchasedf it in 2008 with 62,000 miles from an uncertified dealer (my first mistake). It currently has 91,000 miles....and the problems start to unfold.....

1. My radio stopped working abruptly in December driving back from Florida. I'm guessing it was from the salt on the roads, since I heard that jetta's seem to have corrosion problems in the antennas. I am trying to fix this on my own since the dealer wants to charge me $300 JUST to run a test to see where the problem is coming from. There is NO reception..just static! And I ran the "test" on my radio by holding down the "mix" button: it says my antenna is off and it is useless. Great. So if anyone could give me some help or guide me on how to fix this, that would be wonderful!

2. My key fob is the original and the battery needs to be replaced very often, so this problem could just be my key but I am unsure... Ever since we had to remove my passenger door panel to fix my window track, my locks are not working properly. Either one has to be pushed down manually or one has to be opened manually while the others lock automatically or the opposite or none at all. PLEASE HELP! I have no idea what's wrong with this and any help would be greatly appreciated...!

3. The previous owner broke the black frame/seal on my passenger mirror, and it is TOO HARD to find a silver used one..anbdy have any ideas?? ):

4. Lastly, my trunk hydraulics are sooo insanely difficult to open. I tireed wd40 but that doesn't seem to do anything. anyone else having these problems? help??

Sincerely,
Close, yet far. :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
All of these sound like simple issues. First off, replace the antenna base, search the forum for a diy or look in the n00b guide. I think I read somewhere that you can "recalibrate" or reprogram the remote and locks, not 100% on that but again, a forum search should yield an answer. Look for a part out thread on either here or vwvortex.com and you'll be able to find a mirror cap easily. The gas hydraulic trunk thingys need to be replaced, try germanautoparts.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of these sound like simple issues. First off, replace the antenna base, search the forum for a diy or look in the n00b guide. I think I read somewhere that you can "recalibrate" or reprogram the remote and locks, not 100% on that but again, a forum search should yield an answer. Look for a part out thread on either here or vwvortex.com and you'll be able to find a mirror cap easily. The gas hydraulic trunk thingys need to be replaced, try germanautoparts.com
Thank you tons for the quick response! Like I said, I am totally new to this...so would you mind explaining to me what a "n00b guide" and a "part out thread" are? Thank you again! (o:

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Thank you tons for the quick response! Like I said, I am totally new to this...so would you mind explaining to me what a "n00b guide" and a "part out thread" are? Thank you again! (o:
Here is the link to the "n00b guide" http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php?8454-**MKIV-Noob-Guide**-READ-BEFORE-POSTING
and here is a link to replacing your antenna base: http://forums.generationdub.com/showthread.php?t=16270
You can find other useful DIY's here (there is a link to door lock fixes here as well ;) ) : http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php?3485-Master-DIY-List

A "part out" thread, is a thread where someone is literally parting out every piece of their car. Example: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5268391-FS-2002-jetta-1.8t-part-out&highlight=jetta+part

Btw, that's a current part out, so I would PM him about your mirror caps, possibly his trunk struts too if they still work.

EDIT: Also, I moved this to the MK4 forum.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I definitely read a post on the key programming but can't seem to find it. Try Googling it, it's a simple fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts