Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day i was driving and the timing belt snapped. I was going about 60mph and 3000rpms when it happened. I was wonding does the 2.0l sohc engine have enough clearance between the pistons and valves to not mess anything up. I took off the cam gear cover and spun the cam with a wrench and i cant hear anything that sounds messed up. Should i just go the extra mile and remove the cylinder head to make sure or what?

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry for the bad news dude but i just finished that whole mess jettas are inteference motors you are going to atleast need to replace valves if not more. Where do you live?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eastern north carolina. yea i was hoping nothing was going to be to bad, ill keep my progress posted when ever i take the head out. this car has been a nightmare! bought it with 65000 miles on it at 70000 the clutch went out, then the lower transmission mount broke and destroyed the exhaust, and coil pack went bad all that in 20000 miles. oh and now this lol!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ive done many of these on the 2.0 u have a 50/50 chance of bent valves i usually hang the new belt on and start it u cant do anymore damage then has already been done if it starts and runs smooth ur home free if it doesnt time to pull the head make sure to set the crank and cam gear to #1 top dead center

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took about 4 hours to remove the head and all exhaust valves are slightly bent... no damage to the head or pistons :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts