Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Camshafts for 12v VR6.DSR 256 or AT 262 , also need a decent chip and HD spring info

3721 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Skimmer0220
I dont want to lose the punchy low end torque and I want to improve the mid-range also. Ive narrowed it down to two and am looking for anyone with experience with the DSR 256 or Autotech 262s who can help me decide.
I need to pair the cams up with a good chip. Theres so many (unitronic, c2, giac, neuspeed, autotech, gonzo) I cant make up my mind.
Also any advice on springs or fairly easy and cheap (under $400) supporting headwork will help greatly.

I have searched the vortex for 2 days and most of the threads regarding these camshafts are more than a couple years old and I couldnt find anything good on here.
Plus most of the dyno links have expired or the member just never got around to posting them.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Need something more mild than 268
I dont spend enough time in high rpms to benefit from it. Would be great for high revving motors like a 16v though.
Shameless self-bump.
Is there anyone who can give me their input on these two cams?
Go 262°. They will give you an even increase in power through all rpm. And you won't need to do springs since they aren't that aggressive. As for tunes, I hear the best about uni and giac for the 12v. Was actually looking up some info on giac, they claim 25+ HP with their cam tune. Think that's the best I've seen so far.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yeah they get pretty stellar reviews. And $255 doesn't seem like a bad price.
Im having trouble finding out why mk4 chips are so much more expensive than mk3 chips but I guess Ill just have to bite the bullet and pay up.
Will I need a new cam follower/lifter?
Yeah they get pretty stellar reviews. And $255 doesn't seem like a bad price.
Im having trouble finding out why mk4 chips are so much more expensive than mk3 chips but I guess Ill just have to bite the bullet and pay up.
Will I need a new cam follower/lifter?
No you shouldn't. Mk4s use a flash tune, mk3s uses a chip that needs to be soldered in. They're expensive because people buy them lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
You don't NEED new springs but I would recommend them since your in there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Awesome. Thanks Vixen

And yeah Ive been told that by alot of people, is there any benefit to HD ones besides durability?
What gaskets will I need for reassembly?
Awesome. Thanks Vixen

And yeah Ive been told that by alot of people, is there any benefit to HD ones besides durability?
What gaskets will I need for reassembly?
Yea hd springs you rev higher and longer

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.