Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just one of the ways to clean your MAF. I have a cold air intake so it's a little bit different removing the MAF, but the cleaning process is the same.

Things you will need:
Carb spray
Flat head screw driver
Adjustable wrench

First pop the hood and locate the MAF

Unclip the sensor by using a screw driver to press the button in and pulling the connector off.

Should look like this

If you have an aftermarket intake, use the flathead to unscrew the hose clamp.

Pull the intake off of the MAF, like so

Now you'll need an adjustable wrench to grab the hose clamp on the other side of the housing, slide it down toward the throttle body DO NOT REMOVE IT, it's a giant pain in the ass to get it back on if you do.

Wiggle the housing free and this is what you get

The sensor is inside the housing (obviously) so grab your carb spray and go at it

Let it dry before you reattach it. You're done.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Very nice, very nice. You'd probly get a more thorough clean if you took it out of its housing though.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but I don't have a tamper proof torx bit.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Vice grips lol
You can use a hacksaw blade and some finesse to cut a grove in the top of the screw so you can use a flat head next time. I have tork bit sets but when I take one out I replace it with something more standard such as a phillips or a standard bolt or allen head.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got 2 sets of torx bits so I don't mind them, I just don't have the tamper proof ones.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Well its not even a standard torx bit IIRC, its a 6 point.. And yeah, tamper proof too. Theres a decent set on amazon for $15, nice to have if you work on other peoples cars.

And if you have one, a dremel with a cutting disk is easier than a hacksaw lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well its not even a standard torx bit IIRC, its a 6 point.. And yeah, tamper proof too. Theres a decent set on amazon for $15, nice to have if you work on other peoples cars.

For sure its alot easier if your hands are steady, but some people are not, and some do not have a dremel. Everyone should have a hacksaw. Besides that i got my torx bits from snapon for like 48 bucks, but it was a huge set with many different kinds. Including the tamperproof bits.

·
2 Posts
I would spend some $$ and buy some specific MAF sensor solvent, as it may be more chemical friendly to the other components such as the plastic and rubber.

I have not worked on the Jetta yet, but have used it on other cars and trucks.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would spend some $$ and buy some specific MAF sensor solvent, as it may be more chemical friendly to the other components such as the plastic and rubber.

I have not worked on the Jetta yet, but have used it on other cars and trucks.
IMHO it's not worth it to spend the extra coin for the specific cleaner, as carb spray or alcohol will do just as good. A lot of people just take the sensor out and toss it around in a bag/container of isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes then let it dry. I've done that method before as well but I didn't have any alcohol on hand so the carb spray worked for me.

This is my 4th time cleaning my MAF (hah) and everytime it has taken away my CEL except this time, looks like I'll be buying a new one!

·
Registered
444 Posts
IMHO it's not worth it to spend the extra coin for the specific cleaner, as carb spray or alcohol will do just as good. A lot of people just take the sensor out and toss it around in a bag/container of isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes then let it dry. I've done that method before as well but I didn't have any alcohol on hand so the carb spray worked for me.

This is my 4th time cleaning my MAF (hah) and everytime it has taken away my CEL except this time, looks like I'll be buying a new one!
You do know that if you by a new on that you can get one for a 2.0, its like 300% cheaper and the same thing just a different housing, you just buy the new sensor for a 2.0 and take it out of the housing and swap the new 2.0 sensor into the housing for your Vr. And save a few bills. Ya know towards your turbo...

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
You do know that if you by a new on that you can get one for a 2.0, its like 300% cheaper and the same thing just a different housing, you just buy the new sensor for a 2.0 and take it out of the housing and swap the new 2.0 sensor into the housing for your Vr. And save a few bills. Ya know towards your turbo...
thats a pretty good tip. and by turbo you mean baby right? lol

I feel lame asking this, but what exactly is this "carb cleaner"? and i assume i can get it at any automotive place? and I just spray that ish in there?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hold on....baby? Congrats, I have two of my own, Alexandria 8 and Joshua 5. Save all you can while you can, kids are more expensive than Ashley Olsens drug habits.

You can get it at any parts store or even walmart, just spray the stuff in on your MAF sensor and it will clean all the gunk out.

I can also tell you how to fix your cracked coil packs for under 5 bucks.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, Chris gave us that handy info a while back. The VR6 MAF was over $200, f*ck that! The 2.0 is about a hundred bucks cheaper.

thats a pretty good tip. and by turbo you mean baby right? lol

I feel lame asking this, but what exactly is this "carb cleaner"? and i assume i can get it at any automotive place? and I just spray that ish in there?
Oh all the baby is doing is delaying my plans... hardcore. BUT I still plan on either rebuilding this engine, or swapping in a 24v. It shouldn't be too much longer actually, I almost have my loan paid off [woo]

Hold on....baby? Congrats, I have two of my own, Alexandria 8 and Joshua 5. Save all you can while you can, kids are more expensive than Ashley Olsens drug habits.

You can get it at any parts store or even walmart, just spray the stuff in on your MAF sensor and it will clean all the gunk out.

I can also tell you how to fix your cracked coil packs for under 5 bucks.
Thank you sir. JB WELD! My coilpack is covered in the stuff lol. Yeah Cory, you can get it at any automotive store, mine was pretty straight foreward and was only like 2 bucks if I remember.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You need to make sure the carb cleaner is safe for MAF sensor. Some carb cleaners can damage the sensor, carb cleaner and alchohol will dry out the plastic. I use "Deep Creep" its sensor safe and doesn't dry out plastic. Its basically an aerosol version of sea-foam - stuffs great.

·
Registered
53 Posts

These are actually called "Security Bits" - 6 pointed tamper proof torxy head - wtf - we just start making up stuff... You can ussually get the bits at good electronics stores (think about where you would buy parts to build a computer not Best Buy) and fastener suppliers. I live in a SMALL town in MS and I know 2 places I can get them here.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Yeah, everytime it took away the CEL until IT RUINED YOUR MAF. Buy the right stuff, your talking about a $5 difference to mantain a $200 component - no brainer

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, everytime it took away the CEL until IT RUINED YOUR MAF. Buy the right stuff, your talking about a $5 difference to mantain a $200 component - no brainer
Well sir, figured it's not the maf at all, it's my O2 sensors. MAF is good and no CEL's unless it's below 30 degrees.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts