Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new here and let me start by saying I am not car savvy. So this is my issue I got a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T with turbo. One day after a 20 mile drive the coolant light came on and I noticed the car was steaming but the car did not overheat. I pulled over and noticed the coolant was boiling and spilling from the coolant reservoir. Since then I "burped" the car and it seem like it work but now every time I put the car on park after driving it the coolant will boil and spill from the reservoir.When I am driving around it doesn't seem like it leaks and when I break everything is fine but the minute I park it happens :D. I noticed the coolant spills from under the reservoir. Hope someone can help me!

Some side notes:
Car is not overheating at any point.
I bought the car recently and previous owner had regular (green) coolant, I haven't flushed it and switch yet.

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
I would start by flushing it and putting the g12 back in. The longer you take to do that the greater the chance it will foam up and start eating your seals. As far as your other problem I can't really help you. Maybe your radiator fan isn't working so the radiator isn't cooling the coolant properly?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
is your coolant at the proper level? if its over the max line, then when the coolant heats up and expands it will overflow out of the expansion tank.

it also could be happening at park because air is not going over the radiator like when you are driving. do your radiator fans work?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Prob gonna need a new resevoir... I bet it's leaking.

The system is supposed to hold pressure (around 15psi) so that you can have coolant run at 190*F and NOT boil. So my guess is you started with having a leak in the system somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, sounds like most likely it's something simple and cheap, some friends were scaring me saying it could be a blown head gasket! is that likely?
The fans do work. I will check for leaks on the actual reservoir hopefully that is it!

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Blown head gaskets will cause overheating in addition to coolant in your oil, and if bad enough, white smoke coming from the exhaust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts