Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving a 2010 jetta 2.5 MKV 109,000 miles

Coolant disappearing (no visible leaks anywhere). Had mechanic look at it and he suggested testing the oil cooler. He also stated he tested to see if it was the head gasket. Assuming he did the necessary tests for that. I did ask, but didn't state which specific tests. Anyway, replaced the oil cooler (per his recommendation...known issue with these cars), the thermostat (cuz dammit that's a hard part to get to) and the oil filter housing. Did this all this with help from mechanic friend. My friend noted the gasket on the oil filter housing did seem a bit damaged on upper left hand corner and there even was some flaky white substance on the engine where that gasket would be flush on oil filter housing. To make this short (I'm trying folks)--it took a couple days for the coolant level to remain steady (went down a day or two after driving) then after two days of level staying put, it dropped again just below the MIN level. AND there is still milky crud on top of dipstick and under oil cap. Engine is running well. And no other known performance issues (i.e., no overheating or firm coolant hoses). Any suggestions on how to diagnose problem further. Thank you for reading and your response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts