Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so, I'm gonna get straight to the point with some background info here. the cars a 1999.5 Jetta w/~80k on it, I've had no problems until now; when couple days ago my the coolant light flashed on, pretty randomly I might add, so I checked my coolant level, it was fine. I decided to check for leaks, found nothing and everything seemed fine. I took the car out a few hours later after that ordeal and everything was normal. went home felt some relief lol, went out again about 4-5 hours after that and it started doing the same thing turned around and went home. In the time it took to put the car in neutral, pull the parking break, pop the hood and walk around to the passenger side there was a decently sized puddle of G12 on the ground

since then the car has been "over heating" ,the engine block is cool to the touch on the top and behind by the firewall, and hasn't dumped coolant like it did before. last night I had to run some errands and probably shouldn't have taken her out but, whats been done is done, and my poor Jetta started puring out steam so I pulled over and poped the hood and located where it was coming from. I took the pictures this morning

What part is this? it has a crack that was spraying out coolant last night. I would really like to know what the plastic part is and whats under it, I don't really have the time atm to take stuff apart but I'm thinking it might be the thermostat and its housing? sorry about the size of the photos. :/

·
Registered
7,555 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I was referring to the T shaped piece the sensor is attached to. This is all on the divers side of the car.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
You need to get better pictures. In the second photo, the black thing in the bottom left corner is part of your thermostat housing. From the angle you took the picture at, it doesn't look like the thermostat housing (or the thermostat) that is leaking. I'm going to assume that your car is a 2.0?

I've become quite the coolant leak guru, as I've had a pretty annoying problem with one (still fixing it to this day -.-). This is what the tstat housing looks like:

Now to me, what looks like the ONLY thing that COULD be leaking from the thermostat housing is the piece that's at the top sticking out in above picture, but to me it doesn't look like it at all. Otherwise it's probably just some random T piece. But I'll be able to give you a better idea once you come back with some better pics. (Try not to get super close up ones, so I can see the general area.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct in assuming so. Sorry about the photos I grabbed them quick on my phone this morning.

Heres a couple more, hope their adequate. If you want more just let me know.

I also pointed out where the coolant was spraying from the other night.

·
The jetta thats Betta
607 Posts
clean ur hoses all that splooge is going to eat thru the rubber and rust crap up/
if u know where the leak is comming from im unsure of ur question however if its metal jb weld it for now if its plastic idk tape it or something untill the new piece comes in. if u dont know the piece look for a part number and post it on here the number is somewhere on the offending piece

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After doing more searching I believe this part to be my Drivers side coolant flange, although the one here on my car does look different than the OEM replacement. could this be do to the fact that I have the late model '99?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
99 models are tricky cause they screwed around with the parts so much. Check for the part on www.germanautoparts.com and it'll have you select the vehicle year after you find the part you want. Make sure you get 99.5-05. If it looks different than yours, check the 99' only category (if they have one).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the parts look almost identical. I don't have the time right now to dig around in my engine bay looking for a part number on the piece. After viewing this DIY on the Vortex forums I'm pretty positive about the part. This Photo pretty much confirms my theory, as it is the exact location of my cracked housing. so I think I'm just gonna order the part it's like 8 bucks on ECS and GermanAutoParts, the coolant will be the most expensive part of this ordeal lol, and hoping that this is all that is wrong with the car. :/

Any other info on this would be great the more the better.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Just be sure when you get coolant, its G12 or Pentosin ONLY. They're both phosphate free coolants, and your cooling system needs that. Also, when mixing, use DISTILLED water only! Don't pour in faucet water. You wanna keep electrolytes out of the system. 60/40 mix, or as close to as possible. I personally have 50/50.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I know about the G12, and I'd run a 50/50 mix. the only question I would have is how much unmixed G12 should I buy? I'm doing some searching but you can only move so fast on a phone.

·
The jetta thats Betta
607 Posts
the dealer sells it by the gallon unmixed thats what i got and i keep a 20oz bottle in my trunk just in case unmixed. i think theres quarts too but eh what the hell i know im gonna need it again prolly so a gallon is a good choice

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I haven't found anywhere in the town I live in that sells G12, and the closest dealer is roughly 200mi away. So off to the internet, I just want to make sure I order enough but not too much.

from what I've been finding there's pink and purple G12, or is this just manufactures choice in what they think the colour is? does it matter?

·
The jetta thats Betta
607 Posts
u really would be safe going to the color your car has now. it might be ok but why risk it? some place told me this yellow stuff wuld work and i was like uhhh no. lol when u get your new coolant if u decide to top it off so to speak buy a 99 cent antifreeze tester (its a eye dropper with balls inside) this is a great way to making sure u have enough protection against the cold. i recently had to fill mine up cuz i installed my cts wrong and PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH coolant everywhere haha

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Get the same color G12 you have from the factory. Cooling system capacities for the 2.0L and 1.8T are 5 litres, while the VR6 is 9 litres. So you'll need 2.5L coolant, or 4.5L coolant depending on your engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well that's all good and dandy but I'm pretty much out of coolant, could I just drain my cooling system and put what ever G12 I'd like?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Whether you drain it or not, you have to fill the car the same way... Take off the radiaor cap, fill it til its topped off, squeeze the upper radiator hose to burp out the air, run the car... as it circulates coolant, keep adding it until you can no longer add any. Then, and only then, should you make sure your coolant is btwn the min and max line on your coolant resevoir.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Don't use the purple stuff. The older gen VW's used that stuff and there is a difference between the two, I'm not sure what it is but I read it on the 'tex long, long ago when I first got my car. I believe germanautoparts.com has G12, and they don't usually take longer than a few days to get the product to you. Check your resevior, you might not be totally out.

If you can, get ahold of a bentley manual, if you run into problems like this again you won't need to dig around the bay to get part numbers and things.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the good info guys, the order had been made and should be here in a few. I was thinking about posting a DIY then I found one on the Vortex forums earlier today so, oh well. I did manage to get my hands on a Bentley my linuxbox does not play well with PDFs so it's been a challenge to get any info from that lol. So, for what I hope will be my last question, should I pull the battery for this? If so will I need my radio code? I might have the slip in my trunk with the code but I'm no 100% and I have an aftermarket radio head.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
You shouldn't need to pull the battery, unless it's in your way I guess. I left mine in. And I don't think you'll need the radio code if you have an aftermarket head unit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts