1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
'02 Jetta 1.8T
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Down to business:

Tools required: 1 Phillips screwdriver

Step 1:
Open up the hood and on the passenger side you will notice a panel with 4 screws. This needs to come off. Gently pull back the weather strip and take those screws out.

Step 2:
Remove the panel. You will now see the filter. There are only two clips that hold the filter frame in place, gently pull back on them and lift up. From there merely slide the filter out.

Step 3:
You can now either clean it or replace the filter. On one of the sides there is a part number. I have not checked for a new one as I merely cleaned my old one. There is a part number on the side of the filter. I am sure the local stealership will have them in stock however i am not sure what they will charge as I usually avoid mine at all cost. I am also not sure if anywhere else carries them. If you know please leave a reply :)

Reverse the instructions for install and you are all done.
Nothing too hard, but if someone never pointed out where it was to me I wouldn't know any better myself, hope it helps
Thanks for reading!

·
slammed_01jetta
107 Posts
thanks for postin this,just did mine i honestly never new my jetta had one,but boy was it dirty lol it was like black lol hahahaha but she is back to normal functioning,let me ask you a question,what does the cabin air filter do i no its for the cabin but why does it get so dirty lol..

·
'02 Jetta 1.8T
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for postin this,just did mine i honestly never new my jetta had one,but boy was it dirty lol it was like black lol hahahaha but she is back to normal functioning,let me ask you a question,what does the cabin air filter do i no its for the cabin but why does it get so dirty lol..
Wow mine wasn't that dirty, just mostly really dusty and full of all the stuff falling off the trees Ha, where do you drive around it gets so dirty? :p

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Added it to the list.

·
Registered
286 Posts
yeah mine was very dirty did it today check it out 1030101229.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
what does this filter do??lol

like should I buy a new one or is it not that important and I can just c;ean the one I have. and do you just use dish soap and water??

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
what does this filter do??lol

like should I buy a new one or is it not that important and I can just c;ean the one I have. and do you just use dish soap and water??
It's a paper filter so you can't clean it. Basically this is just the filter that filters the air that comes through your heating and ac. If it's really dirty it could cause you to not get as much airflow but it won't cause any mechanical issues. It's really all up to personal preference.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
199759_1637144372561_1355280312_31435640_5883785_s.jpg

yea..as soon as i cleaned it i noticed air came through the vnts easier and wasnt throwing debre into my eyes.haha
my filter was different tho. its a plastic piece with holes all through it. i took off the bolts for ut but it didnt want to pull off. i just vacumed around it and left it alone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just replaced mine and it was terrible. But after i replaced it a ton of **** flow at me and still a buch of stuff. It also is alot louder then it used to be. Anyone know wats up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Depending on how long it had been since you changed it, I'd say it was probably finally working right. A filthy air filter can really restrict airflow, just like a dirty fuel filter restricts fuel flow. If you have debris flying at you, that may be because you knocked it loose when you changed the filter. It shouldn't be anything to worry about. Turn it on high and let it blow everything out and then clean your car. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
The filter can have a lot of debri on top of it. Try vacuuming the top of it before removing it. If you drop some debri in under the filter, vacuum it out. Also, it looks black because it has activated charcoal incorporated into the filter media.

·
Dub Nub
94 Posts
Thanks for this thread! I stumbled across it a couple days ago and decided id give it a try when i was under my hood today. I had tons of debris and the filter was pretty dirty. I also found a broken plastic piece that after some searching i discovered came off of the side of the cover that you remove with the 4 screws. After vacuuming out all the leaves and debris, and cleaning out the filter, my cabin air flows and sounds 10x better. Took less than 10 minutes too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced mine this weekend with a heater core for a 1991 Mustang.

My heater core started to leak (fogged up windows, coolant smell), so I inquired about the cost have the heater core replaced. I was quoted $1100-$1300. That ain't happening since I bought the car for $2000, so it was time to do some thinking.

I removed the filter, put the Mustang core in its place, marked the plastic that needed to be cut so it would lay flat, drilled two new holes in the metal body so I could run the new heater lines and just connected the old hoses with the new using barb fittings and hose clamps.

The whole process took me less than 90 minutes with a grand total of $48.82, and now I have dry, smell free heat inside of my Jetta wagon. It might be frowned upon by the VW purist, but inginuity and tinkering is fun.

I'm sure the filter does a specific job, but I believe Heat and unfogged/iced windows is a better trade off than dust inside the car. Anybody else try doing this?

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
I replaced mine this weekend with a heater core for a 1991 Mustang.

My heater core started to leak (fogged up windows, coolant smell), so I inquired about the cost have the heater core replaced. I was quoted $1100-$1300. That ain't happening since I bought the car for $2000, so it was time to do some thinking.

I removed the filter, put the Mustang core in its place, marked the plastic that needed to be cut so it would lay flat, drilled two new holes in the metal body so I could run the new heater lines and just connected the old hoses with the new using barb fittings and hose clamps.

The whole process took me less than 90 minutes with a grand total of $48.82, and now I have dry, smell free heat inside of my Jetta wagon. It might be frowned upon by the VW purist, but inginuity and tinkering is fun.

I'm sure the filter does a specific job, but I believe Heat and unfogged/iced windows is a better trade off than dust inside the car. Anybody else try doing this?
this is rather interesting, at this point on mk4's who cares unless you did this to an R32 or a super clean GLI or one of the more desirable mk4's gotta make the car functional

1 - 15 of 15 Posts