Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY - Short Ram Intake

i was to lazy to buy an intake so i went out and bought a cone filter a few couplers and made something great. and to my suprise it sounds freaking awesome.

Supplies

- 1, Cone filter
- 1, 90 degree intake elbow
- 2, intake couplers.
- 1, breather

Makeing the intake

1. Disconnect MAF harness from MAF. also disconnect vacuum lines for air box cold start door.

2. Take off intake tube with MAF and air box cover.

3. Disconnect MAF from air box cover and intake tube.

4. Put the Cone Filter on the intake side of the MAF and tighten wth hose clamp.

5. Attach
coupler to other side of MAF and tighten with Hose clamp.

6. Connect 90 degree elbow to MAF with the coupler and tighten down with hose clamp.

7. take the final couple and attach to other end of 90 degree elbow and tighten down with hose clamp

8. now tkae the whole assembly and atach to throttle body and tighten down with hose clamp.

9. Re-connect MAF harness and plug the vacum line that comes from the intake maniflold and tie it down some where.

The Breather

1. Attach breather filter to the open hole where the intake pipe was and thats it.

·
JettaJunkie Baby
1,023 Posts
nice write up.
But you dont really need that 90 degree elbow. you couldve used the stock intake pipe and it wouldve be further out instead of being soo clost to the TB and Engine.

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
Good write up. I'll add it to the DIY list!

I was wondering about it being too close too. But I doubt 2 inches or whatever will make a difference. and that pipe looks better than an old nasty stock pipe :p

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

the stock intake tube is to long and i dont like it and it is not smooth like the pipe is.

its ok i like it that way, it is im going to upload a video of the sound at some point in time. but like i said i was very impressed by it.

oh yea i also left he air box bottom there just so hat i can get more air in there.

·
JettaJunkie Baby
1,023 Posts
Thanks

the stock intake tube is to long and i dont like it and it is not smooth like the pipe is.

its ok i like it that way, it is im going to upload a video of the sound at some point in time. but like i said i was very impressed by it.

oh yea i also left he air box bottom there just so hat i can get more air in there.
good idea..
now get working on a heat shield!!

·
Marine
285 Posts
I did the same thing with my MK4, but I couldn't stand it anymore cause I thought it was too gay so I went back to my K&N drop in filter in the stock air box lol.

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my original idea before i even looked under the hood was superposed to be filter>MAF>TB no elbow nothing but when i went to do install no room. so i had to buy the elbow.

but i like it alot plus i dont get that wired sucking sound that other SRI's and CAI get i get this loud agressive rumble espcialy at WOT.

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i tried to capture the sound that the engine makes but i dont think i got what i was looking for with my video camera. i tried 2 different angles and it dosent sound like it does on my pc.

also a video from the cabin i was on my way to class so i wasn't prepped to put the camera any where so i placed it on the seat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
whats the smoke coming from the breather is that bad?!?!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can get little attachments and peices and elbows and such at my local autozone, not sure if they all do. But thats how im going to put a SRI in mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What size cone filter did you use cause i dont want to have to keep driving 20 mins to the nearest autoshop to trade it in

-Steve

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i used a 3" diameter intake don't know how big the cone is but the connector is that big.

every thing i used is 3" inches

i got every thing from auto zone the filter was cheap $19.99.

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
the only thing I'd recommend is going with a K&N filter, because cleaning the same K&N filter is cheaper in the long run than buying new filters.

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
I thought he had a K&N, I just meant for people in general lol. Im talking about the paper mache` ones that fall apart in a month.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts