Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a Mk4 Jetta with a three knob control.

This is super simple and shouldn't take longer than 10 mins even if you've never picked up a pair of pliers before. The trick is to just be patient. You're trying to remove and reinstall a tiny bulb that's hard to get at. There is only ONE bulb for the whole CC area.

Tools needed:

1 Silvania 2721 bulb. ($4.99 for two at the Zone)Regular pliers (channel locks or slip joint, doesn't matter)
Needle Nose pliers
A piece of vacuum hose or electrical tape. I used tape cuz the line at Autozone was too long to wait for 6 inches of vac line (but that's another rant).

The bulb is behind the Fan Speed (center) knob.

1) Turn the Fan control to the 12:00 position (straight up).

2) Using a soft cloth to cushion the jaws, firmly grip the knob with your pliers and gently wiggle and pull straight toward you.

3) Slip a tight fitting piece of hose over the bulb (or patiently wrap a short piece of electrical tape around the bulb) and grip gently but firmly with the Needle Nose pliers and wiggle gently while pulling straight out.
NOTE: DO NOT TWIST!!

4) Using the same hose or tape (just enough to grip the end) insert the bulb into its slot. NOTE: the connector end is flat and needs to be in a vertical (up and down) orientation. Slide it in until you feel it seat, there will be a slight snap feel to it.

5) Replace the control knob by inserting straight in until it seats past the notch (another snap feel).

6) Enjoy being able to SEE the controls at night again.

PS I apologize for the terrible pics, but hopefully you can see where you're going from them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Thank you sir, adding it to the list.

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NP! I'm just glad I found a brief description of it BEFORE I tore my dash apart. Figured a lamp R & R 101 would be good for those who don't know about it.

I DEF enjoy having the controls lit up now and my better half doesn't have to guess which knob does what any more.

·
'02 Jetta 1.8T
169 Posts
I was wondering where the bulb was for those. So is there a small bulb behind each knob? Cause that entire panel in my car doesn't illuminate with the rest of the dash lights like I am assuming it should.

Also good quick effective DIY, good to have another for the list :D

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering where the bulb was for those. So is there a small bulb behind each knob? Cause that entire panel in my car doesn't illuminate with the rest of the dash lights like I am assuming it should.

Also good quick effective DIY, good to have another for the list :D
The bulb for the Climate Control is behind the Fan Control only. One bulb for all three (includes the AC & Recirc switches). What a treat to look down and see everything for a change.

·
'02 Jetta 1.8T
169 Posts
Right on, Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great DIY. I replaced the light but the only lights the work on the climate control is the AC & Recirc switches for me. Did I do something wrong? or did I miss something?

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great DIY. I replaced the light but the only lights the work on the climate control is the AC & Recirc switches for me. Did I do something wrong? or did I miss something?

SO I understand that the control knobs are lit, but not the AC & recirc switches, right?

Dunno, why. Maybe a MKxx diff? Everything lit up on mine (MK4) with the one bulb change.

·
'02 Jetta 1.8T
169 Posts
SO I understand that the control knobs are lit, but not the AC & recirc switches, right?

Dunno, why. Maybe a MKxx diff? Everything lit up on mine (MK4) with the one bulb change.
Agreed, Just switched mine and it lights up all three knobs as well as the A/C and re circ buttons. NAPA doesn't seem to carry that bulb I discovered though, as did no where else in town except the dealership, was kinda surprised.

·
Cone Killer
1,860 Posts
thanks, tnic! loved this! I had a roll of non-slip shelf liner laying around so I ripped a piece off and used that between my needle nose pliers and the knob and it worked well. Couldn't get the needle nose into the space around the bulb so I wrapped the shelf liner around the bulb then gripped it with tweezers. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do is a better word, cause if you can't do this ten I just don't know :p
I drive a MK3 and I tried pulling out the this green plastic piece in front of mine and i couldnt get it out with my fingers. The next time I drove at night the nobs wouldnt light up..so im pretty sure Ibroke it now.lol

even if i changer it though im not sure how I can make my lights BLUE if this green thingy is what gives it color..anyone else try this to their MK3

184683_1637674385811_1355280312_31436345_2673946_s.jpg 190129_1637673665793_1355280312_31436344_7088923_s.jpg

·
PA Dubber
374 Posts
I know this is old, but just noticed it, had the same issues, followed these steps and it worked, but oneeee question. I know it's not a big deal, but now that my climate lights work they're just so dull. Like compared to the other red lighting on the radio/dash they are just more dull. Should I have got a LED bulb because I only got the 2721 as directed above?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is old, but just noticed it, had the same issues, followed these steps and it worked, but oneeee question. I know it's not a big deal, but now that my climate lights work they're just so dull. Like compared to the other red lighting on the radio/dash they are just more dull. Should I have got a LED bulb because I only got the 2721 as directed above?
I have this same issue. I ordered a #2721 white LED bulb off eBay for like $2, and it is very bright while the knob/control is still removed. However, once I put the knob/control back in, you can barely see the controls lit up at all.

Should I have gotten the original style bulb and not LED?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts