Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from another site

REAL COLD AIR INTAKE
2 45 degree 3 inch elbows with male one end and female on the other from lowes (or home depot, but they are bastards and lowes is cheaper)
some fibreglass cloth and resin
1 short screw, to hold the elbows together
1 k&n drop in panel filter (or stock is fine, not ideal but it will work)
* also it is easiest to remove the passenger side head light for this project

here are the pics with a small notes, the full writeup is below all of them

what you need

cut the air box and place the pipe in to get an idea of how it will sit.

then cut it so you can make it flush **BUT make sure to leave a small lip on the pipe to keep it from fallind through

see how it looks now. get it to sit well then mark it with to marks so you know the horizontal and longitudinal placement of the pipe. (also make sure the male end it down so it will fit through the hole in the frame and so you ccan pipe it even furtther

then you fiber glass it and smooth it out for good air flow, it doesnt matter how the outside of the box looks its the inside that does the work.

after you are done with the fibreglass you can paint it and make it look purty i did a gloss black on the inside and a rubberized undercaoting for the outside of the box, then you place it back in the vehichle and put the filter in and ad on the attachments to pipe it down further (i used a small 3/8" pan head self tapping screw to hold the additional 45 degree elbow on. worked great

ok so my air box had holes in it all over the side and a big pipe hole in the front. so to fix that i had to fiberglass over the holes to plug them up, if your airbox is stock you will just need to pull out the snorkel and plug the front of the box, also i do recomend useing fibreglass with this project to get the best cold clean air effect.

obviously you need to pull out the bottom half of the air box, cis owners can leave the top part in place due to the fuel line, digi owners just pull the whole thing out since that is easiest.

i will skip the step of covering the holes as that is obvious on the how to.... k first you need to relocate the charcoal canister, to do that you can remove the splash guard under the fender or do it without, (it may be a little harder) pretty much all you gotta do is unplug it and realease the clamp sleeve on it, slide it o down on the sleave and clamp it back, then re-route the hoses to it by fishing them throught the side fender hole (or make your own hole) pretty much it is going to be in the same location but down a little and back a few inches secure it inplace by screwing the clampsleeve to the rear hole that it was originally screwed to (i know that sounds confusing but you will see it when you pull the air box out) now you have made space for the 3 inch drain pipe.
cut out the front left corner of the air box so that the pipe can sit diagonally out of it, then on the first section of pipe trim the female end down so that there is just a lip left to keep it from sliding out the air box. then but the air box back in place, slide the pipe down in place with the female end in the box and male end going down throught the old charcoal can hole, mark where is sits best then pull it out (trying to keep it aligned with tthe air box) now, you could use foam or some cheap way or securing the pip inplace, i used fibreglass and molded it into place, then i painted the inside of the box gloss black and the outside i used rubberized undercoating, to help sheild heat. after you secure the pipe in place you can check for leaks like i did with water, then when it is good put the box back in place, hook everthing back up.
then the other 45 elbow you got you can slide it over the airbox elbow (you can pipe it however you want this is just how i did it) use the screw to keep the pipe from sliding off.
now go for a test drive... sounds nice doesnt it?.
i actually did notice a difference in sound with this mod then when it was "swiss cheased" the air flows smoother
also leave the warmair intake in place, the flap is spring loaded so you dont have to worry about it sucking hot air (you can cover it but i dont recomend it) that way if you hit a deeep puddle or whatever it will suck from the warm air not the water, also come winter time if you decide to use the warm air it will still be available and still have the throaty sound of the CAI

·
The Name is Nate.
517 Posts
not really, it would take the water quite a trip to get up into that pipe...as far as a regular aftermarket CAI the filter grabs water and the water remains in the filter and then gets sucked (forced) into the engine causing hydrolock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts