1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Jetta GL 2.0L Gasoline
01M Transimssion
58,000 Miles

I am looking for some advice here and possibly a DIY for replacement of a 01M transmission valve body.

I have read it is somewhat common for VW's with 01M transmissions to have problems with the tranny valve body and/or it's wiring harness, causing rough shifting or worse - failure. I am wondering if this is could be the cause of my problems. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Sometimes it will shift slowly from park to drive, and it will shift very rough at times. If decelerating from highway speeds for a red, and that red light turns green and I accelerate again - the tranny downshifts so rough it feels like its going to destroy itself.

Where do I start with this? I am waiting for the Bentley Manual to be shipped to me, as I bought it on Amazon last night. I am prepared to replace the valve body if I have to, but need to know how to be sure this will solve my problems. Any advice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, I don't see many tech savvy posts here yet when it comes to the Auto Trans on the MK4, I am going to drain and replace the atf filter on my 2000 automatic and it is not spoken of. When I get to pulling and doing the trans filter and fill I will post some picks. Valve body sounds simple, apparently the wiring to solenoids gets brittle and shorts out causing shifting issues check each shift solenoid when you have the pan off, apply voltage and check the valve shafts are smooth, Solenoids sound like the problem, verify the gears you are having the problem with then remove and test, Reverse is slow to engage for my Trans. I am a strong believer that a ounce of maintenance is the remedy to fewer headaches down the road. (Literally) I believe there may be a few VW Mechanics here but they can only hand out so much help. I also have the 2.0 with 128k miles, It runs strong and really pulls around 3800 RPM. I may opt for a Cam when the timing belt goes in, It looks like the best way to get power over a wide range.PS Robert Bentley Manuals are the best ever made. Illustrated so well, I rebuilt my Audi 5000 Transmission. Drove it for 4 years and sold it running excellent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the place to start would be to look how smoothly the solenoids run when applying voltage to them individually? Then, if they work smoothly, this would indicate a problem with the wiring harness and not the solenoids or the valvebody itself?

What is the correct voltage to apply to the solenoids to test their operation?

I agree that maintenance and prevention are key to happiness and avoiding headaches. I just want to make sure I am targeting my labor in the correct location. I just got the Bentley manual, on the recommendation of lots of people. It is very helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts