Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this one took a fairly decent amount of time.

This idea Will work for ANY car.

HeatShield + optional Air Duct

Materials
- cardboard
- box cuter
- tape
- sheet metal
- sheet metal shears or something to cut it with
- Rivets
- rivet gun
- pipe insulator
- hammer
- vise
- 2 part epoxy
- drill
- drill bits
- Paint ( if you want)

First you want to take out your air box and any attaching hoses. after you are done with that take your card board( i have tons of boxes laying around so i cut those up) and you are going to make your first panel. that blocks the engine form your intake. close the hood slowly to see if you have made a line pretty close to the roof of the hood and then close it all the way to make sure you have got a good edge on the hood.

once you have done that start to make the panel adjacent to the previous panel for behind the intake when that one is complete make one that will go behind the intake but form above.

when you think you have everything perfect in cardboard lay it over your sheet metal and and draw the out line of the board on the metal and cut it out.

this is where you brake out the tape tape up the edges and test fit all your panels in the engine bay. the reason why you would want to tape up the edges is because you dont want to cut the fuel lines or and cables.

so when thats all set and done and your happy paint it do what every you want to do to it and remember to tape up the edges again after you paint it and find some way to secure it in there. i did the air duct too so every ting is extremely tight fitting and doesn't move.

optional Air Duct

so when you were making the first panel with card board put that one in place and start making a duct form above the radiator on the left side to the panel. ( i made mine out of various pieces of CB and taped them and finally good a shape that was good. after that i made another piece out of card board that was one piece and slide it in the car to see if it fits. and make a line of were the CB is on the panel

when thats all done trace it out on sheet metal but dont cut it out yet. draw another 1'-1.5" line around the trace and cut out form there. once thats cut out cut the corners to the inner line and bend that 1-1.5" peice up to make a tunnel. after that take another peice of sheet metal an out the duct ontop of it trace it out cut the sheet metal and thats the cover.

take and mix up some epoxy and glue the top part on to the duct and let it cure.

now take your first pannel the one that sits next to the engine and and cut out a rectangle of were you drew you line befor. take some extra sheetmetal and make two strips that are 3" wide and whatever length the hole in the pannel is bend 1" of it to make a 90* angle and put them in the panel. take the drill and make some holes along the two pieces and make and rivet them in. now take small peice of sheet metal to fold again for just one side of the panel. and do the same fold, drill, rivet.

now hopefully your duct is cured and now test fit everything to see if its good. now take it all out paint it if you want let dry then put it back in again.

take your tape and seal and cracks and holes. and did you tape your edges? also there is a bucnh of cables that where under the top lip of the fram i took thos off and zip tied them on to the radiator hose.

now take you pipe insulator and put it on any top edge of the panels to make a nice tight seal between your hood and filter.

i Know this is alot to understand hopefully the pics will help alot.

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went for a test drive and OMG does it sound beautiful the sound just resonates in the box and it just sounds so good. at WOT and especially at 3500 and above its really great.

·
JettaJunkie Baby
1,023 Posts
I just used an old computer panels to make it.. all i did was cut..just used the some holes and bolts.lol

·
'02 Jetta 1.8T
169 Posts
Good DIY Man! MKIII owners will have a blast with this I bet!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow. I just made one for my mr2 two days ago. Took me 3 hours.
But i only use cardboard - tape - a little of fiber glass and fiberglass resin. + some paint.

Next week am making one for my jetta, Due I just add an intake again.

Really nice job man.O0

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just used an old computer panels to make it.. all i did was cut..just used the some holes and bolts.lol
Yea well if your dad has his own homedepot for a shed then you've got a lot to play with.

Good DIY Man! MKIII owners will have a blast with this I bet!
thanks, yea i had a blast doing mine. and any car can do this just got to have a little ingenuity.

Wow. I just made one for my mr2 two days ago. Took me 3 hours.
But i only use cardboard - tape - a little of fiber glass and fiberglass resin. + some paint.

Next week am making one for my jetta, Due I just add an intake again.

Really nice job man.O0

yes this one took a few days im sure you could bang this in a day maybe 2 but it took me forever because i have a lot of projects going on.

are you useing a CAI or SRI? then do what i just did and isolate the filter.

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after some time of testing:). i have found out that this thing i have made is fantastic. i get a little better throttle respons when driveing becasue air is being force into the intake. and the air that comes in is freezing cold. i poped the hood after a long high way drive and the heatshield, duct, and filter were very cold. and the engine bay was crazy hot.

my next step is to put in a temp probe in the airbox and tape the display on my wind shield to see what the temp inside is. and put a second one in the engine bay to see the heat difference. and maybe one more out the window to see what the air temp is while driving to see what the outside temp and filter temps are.

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know im double posting this but its for the sake of documentation.

(also i always have my engine at OP temp before running it rough)

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's freakin loud but sounds great! Good job on the air box.
thanks, i get a ton of back fire which i like makes me think of a race car when it backfires, i like it alot. inside the car is LOUD when i get to 4k, then the noise drops a little and the noise goes back up agian. i know the inside video is boring but if you wait till the middle i top out a few gears. dont want to say which ones for legal reasons of course

also love the sucking sound the intake makes you can here it alot in the intake video when the hood is open.

How did you get that to play its just pictures when I click it
are you using Explorer? i had trouble checking if it worked on there. but works fine on firefox.

heres the links

intake
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/GreekGabe/car%20stuff/?action=view&current=intake.flv

inside
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/GreekGabe/car stuff/?action=view&current=inside.flv

exhaust
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/...iew&current=ExhasutewithHshieldandinstake.flv

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's an awesome idea with your air duct, I was going to try to do something similar, but have it come from underneath the car. After look at what you did I might try to do something just like it. Thanks for the DIY!

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's an awesome idea with your air duct, I was going to try to do something similar, but have it come from underneath the car. After look at what you did I might try to do something just like it. Thanks for the DIY!
thanks, No problem

if you want a duct to come from underneath the car i guess you can try and make a vertical duct go from the left side of the engine and go down then angle it towards the front of the car if you get what im trying to say.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i know this has been dead a couple of months but i was curious as to if it is completely necessary to have a heat shield? i know its better for it and what not but is it a must have?

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no you dont have to have a heat shield, but its nice to have because that means you will be sucking in cold air and not hot air

and actually im surprise how well sealed of the area is, because when i was painting my car i had put magzaine pages tape to the car and i had to move my car and then engine was having a lot of trouble idling and i had to really give it some gas to suck in air.

·
Registered
42 Posts
lol nice. well i just went out and bought all this stuff and starting putting it in today =D i got to go get a couple of clamps tomorrow to finish it up, autozone gipped me out of a couple haha but ill throw up a picture when i get it all together for ya

·
Registered
2 Posts
quick question. the only thing stopping me from running out and doing this mod is the removal... what if i need to get under that near the radiator... it looks almost permanent

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its not permanent at all, but its a very tight fit so it doesn't move. but its all easily removed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts