Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OK...So, I'm not 100% done but I have this for the most part complete. I'm not the best at documentation so sorry for the not so complete "instructions". The main thing is being prepared before starting. The first thing you need IF installing a Pioneer head unit will be the Pioneer ADT VA-133 Cage. Pioneer for some reason does not include the cage and bezel with their DD head units, apparently the assumed you're installing in a direct fit or something. I also used the metra wiring harness, which does not include a spot for ignition/switched wire. I was not going to pay $80-$120 for the PAC-CAN unit.

Next thing you should seriously consider if you don't have...a Dremel! One serious mistake I made when starting this was thinking I was going to be done in an hour. I really should have waited till the weekend (which I'll now be doing again) and taking the ENTIRE center console and dash....When trying to shove the NAV unit and all the wires in...it's be a lot better to have everything off to pull and push.

Ok, so I skipped the steps of taking out the factory head unit, but it was fairly easy. I personally did not get the VW radio keys. I just ground down a couple of flat standard radio removal tools and slowly got it out. Would have been easier with the right tools for sure!

Alright, so in the above picture you'll see the cage (fits VERY snug) and what I did was on each of the red circles marked with a razor blade the outside of the "push locks". I took the cage out and used the dremel to take out some of the plastic. It took a couple times to get the fit right, but I got it to lock in there very nicely. Ok, at this point I decided I was not going to cut out too much plastic to make it perfectly fit. I don't know when I'll want to take this out and put a factory unit back in for whatever reason. IF you cut back the plastic where the yellow lines are...you can get the cage and head unit to fit PERFECT.

So, like I said, you should really just go ahead and take out everything around the dash and under the steering wheel, helps a lot. For the ignition/switched wire for the head unit I used the 75x spot on the power distribution block. This is only temporary. I did this for brevity right now, this weekend I need to pull everything back out and hook up the GPS antenna, VSS wire and will be switching this to the "key sense" wire so that it will stay on after the car is turned off, similar to the factory units

I soon found that I would need to dremel off a bit of the factory support. Didn't really harm anything by taking it off though, no worries. Red arrows indicate what I took off.

Because of the overall size of this thing...It was an absolute "you know what" to get this thing to sit properly. That is why it is necessary to just take it all off! I had to put my hands in some awkward holes and angles :) Got it all in and I was pleased with the overall outcome. Obviously I would have appreciate it being a little more flush, but I'm just not ok with cutting more plastic than necessary. As much as I love my Jetta...I think this head unit will out live the Jetta (in my driveway at least). The rest are just for show, but I will be updating this with more detailed pictures and others from when I tap into VSS, key sense and reverse. In case you're wondering, yes I did do the parking break bypass.

Please feel free to critique. I know there is a similar write up on Vortex, but no harm in having one here I suppose. After seeing my interior, I'll answer your unasked question...Yes I know it looks like crap so when I rip it all out again I will be sanding and painting a lot of the smaller trim pieces and door pieces, as well as the radio bezel. First impressions so far...Wow, I knew any aftermarket unit would improve sound quality, but damn this thing sounds great with the factory speakers. Will be at some point swapping them with pioneer.

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
I think you should send it to me so I can install it my car -- only then will I be able to properly critique your DIY... :)

Don't worry about the lack of response, it just means that the radioheads are still sleeping. And, we seem to go in waves here....sometimes everyone is all about mechanics, sometimes it's all about ground effects and the validity of mesh inserts, sometimes it's about radios. Sooner or later you'll get more questions than you want about it....Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm going to be doing a similar project myself. I'm interested to know where the key sense wire is and also what you used for your parking brake bypass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
definately liking this thread. I have an Eclipse DD I've been wanting to throw in my wagon.Did you have the factory monsoon system?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Parking Break Bypass is specific to the head unit, so it can be different for each. Usually it involved grounding the head units parking break wire and changing a pin on the head unit itself.

The Key Sense wire is a brown/red wire at the ignition, I'll update the thread with a picture later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
walk me through this bro. im new to VW and dont want to fry anything while installing an aftermarket radio
red wire from headunit goes to 75x spot( red on harness not used?)
yellow from radio goes to yelllow on harness?
oranged dimmer not used?
blue and blue/white from harness not used?
black from radio to black on harness?
speaker leads are all easy :)

find the vss wire yet? i need this to run navigation correctly...
thanx

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes red wire can go to 75x, but you might be better off tapping into the key sense wire in the ignition switch---brown/red wire
Yellow goes to yellow on harness
Orange dimmer is not on the metra harnesses but you can run it to just behind the light switch. tap into the lights on wire...not the rheostat wire.'
Not sure what the blue or blue/white is...I think if you're talking about the metra/scosche harness that is the powered antenna.
Black does not go to black on the factory harness...but it would on the metra harness. Usually better to find a solid chassis ground for aftermarket radios but...your choice.
VSS wire is behind the speedo panel (or somewhere under the dash). Kind of a pain in the butt to get the speedo panel off because of how tight the harness is, but it is the blue/white stripe wire in the blue harness.

You may also want a reverse wire tap for GPS accuracy and the possibility of reverse cam. That is under the driver kick plate leading towards the back...black/purple wire if memory serves. I can get pics to back all this up, just been a little busy lately....to be extra sure if you're not...you can always use a volt meter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. I just bought a Clarion VX400, but I opted to have it installed professionally. It's getting done on Saturday, so hopefully I can get some pics up as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dumb question... Was there any way to transfer the VW's radio mounting system over to the Pioneer? Like you can on some other cars that have DD radios from the factory? I saw a Scion install video where you could swap the brackets over, and was just curious if anything could be done to avoid buying all the cage parts and doing it that way.

Install doesnt look too bad finish wise. Could be smoother, but def not bad. I just wish the cost of the unit wasnt so stinking high!! Its a really cool piece of equipment for sure.

Have you tried the bluetooth yet? How's the call quality and all?

Justin

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately there is no real way to just swap the VW Monsoon straight to a double din. The VW factory unit is just slightly larger on all sides and clicks in there in a proprietary way. You'd have to have either this Pioneer kit or the kit from Metra http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-9012-Installation-1999-2005-Volkswagen/dp/B002U5UD8C

Call quality is great on the unit is actually great but it has a lot to do with the placement of the mic. I haven't mounted it yet but I think I am going to mount it somewhere near the dome light/reading light console area. I'm fairly tall and sit far back so having the mic on top of the steering wheel column isn't ideal for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah ive seen the special tools and vids on VW's mounting system. Wasnt sure if the clips could be installed onto the pioneer or not. Bummer.

I have the same problem with the MIC in my Trans AM. Im 6'4 and sit back pretty far. I have a DEH-P980BT in there and mounted the MIC on the column. Its a T-top car, so I figured it would be easier. It doesnt work too good. Actually, the car is so noisy I dont know that moving the MIC would make much difference haha. A quiet car probably helps a ton.

I just wish this unit was a little cheaper. After watching some videos on its use and seeing all its functions Im drooling over it. I was going to build a CarPC for the Jetta, but this does everything Ide need the CarPC to do...its just a little more expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
finally had the time and the cojones to install my double din. I followed your how to and everything worked perfect. I cannot seem to find the key sense wire though. I do see a brown/red wire but it is on a plug/harness that goes to the CCM.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Broken links. I tried to get a hold of the OP, but he doesn't seem to frequent the site any longer. I'm gonna shoot him an e-mail and hopefully he'll respond, otherwise no pics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts