Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first DIY and i hope it helps some people out there, its a little nonsense but Since i got tired of lifting my car while worrying about bending the pinch weld I decided to make this.

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 10 - 15 min.

I am not responsible for any damage you or your car might suffer, always be careful and use as much precaution as you can when doing work on your car.

Lets get to it, there's two options when doing your jack pad:

-wood (local hardware store)
-hockey puck.

I did mine out of wood since i got it for free from Home Depot.

(ask the guys about trash wood and they will show you a container pick something thats not rotten and looks solid *remember this will be under a lot of weight)

This is what we will be doing:

(all measurements can be changed by you, I used this as my plans. came out a little different but its good to know what you are doing)

Tools needed:
- Saw
- Measuring tool ( either a ruler or measuring tape)
- Pencil
- Dremel (recommended but if you can do it with a saw, be my guest. for the hockey puck, Use a dremel)
- Safety goggles
- Gloves (splinters hurt lol)

Step 1) Make sure the piece you want to be your final product does not have any cracks or holes. This is important, again a crack under weight will expand which will lead to your car falling.

Step 2) Make your measurements and mark with a pen...

(the pinch weld is 1 inch in height, so try to make the hole 1 inch or at least 3/4 of an inch)

Step 3) Cut

(I made my grove in V shape a lot easier and i think it makes it stronger somehow lol)

Step 4) Try it on your car.

(go slow and make sure the wood is not cracking and that is centered with the Pinch and your jack)

Enjoy your jack pad and peace of mind while lifting your car at home. If you can do it with a hockey puck I think it will last longer and keep up with the elements, just make sure you have a dremel.

Good luck

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess people didn't like it or its just too easy and consider me a noob :(

woot! thx vixen!

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Very nice, high five.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Wow pretty awesome

I sent this thru the Intranet™

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what kind of wood did you use? I'd be to affraid it would just split right when I jack it up
Same fears i had and still have, I dont know the name of the 2 wood blocks i picked. but for fact i know the following guidelines i used to pick mine

look at the wood on this angle and check how tight the wood is, as in how the wood grows (annual rings) how tight are they together and how healthy they look
15s28ac.jpg

and go thru this checklist:
- the less air between the wood the harder it would be.
- also check for signs of the wood being exposed to water.
- knock on it. (if it sounds empty, discard)
- you can always ask the guy from the Local Hardware store if that wood would resist around 2 tons of weight.
- last but not least remember step 4, thats why i tried it, i wanted to make sure it was not cracking and it was holding up. as you see in the pic the car is lifted with the wood and i only noticed the pinch well going less than .20 of an inch into the wood (normal since its compressing) so let it sit a bit.

Remember to be really careful when doing this step, as the car could fall if the wood breaks in half (the most likely scenario, thats why leave about 3/4 inch of wood from the V bottom to the base so it has strength).

Hope this helps, but i dont know the name of the wood but most construction wood can do fine, I normally see the guys that work with my dad put some wood under HEAVY STUFF. and it holds up

Btw the idea for this i got it from my dad lol

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes usually I've just used a hole block but I'll have to try this

Sent from space through a satellite
true! just make sure you make some measurements with your jack under the car measuring from the jack to the pinch weld making sure you can slide that wood piece between the jack and the weld. (you can use my measurements if you have a stock suspension)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
!!!!!! IMPORTANT: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU GOT GOOD WOOD !!!! Mine failed yesterday, Nothing went bad but it broke in half.... Im gonna get a hockey Puck and make sure I re-do the DIY....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeap as Ill said, i actually recommend doing this with 2 hockey pucks with a opening in the middle, as i did with the wood. if not go with some good wood.. I just got myself 2 old hockey pucks out of a garage sale so i might take some pics and edit original.

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
yeap as Ill said, i actually recommend doing this with 2 hockey pucks with a opening in the middle, as i did with the wood. if not go with some good wood.. I just got myself 2 old hockey pucks out of a garage sale so i might take some pics and edit original.
I made mine out if a hockey puck ill have to take a pick of it tomorrow

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I made mine out if a hockey puck ill have to take a pick of it tomorrow

plz do im gonna do it with 2 of them, since the grove under the car is about 1 inch and the hockey pucks are 1 inch thick im thinking on cutting one of them and then putting some nails to attach it to the second one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts