Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a cheap alternative to buying a mesh grille but it is a lot of workwhat you need:
hacksaw blade
body filler
sandpaper (a few different grits from coarse to fine)
sandable primer
paint that matches your car
clear top coat
some type of mesh (aluminum gutter mesh works well)
first take off your grille this is done by taking the 4 screws out of the top of the grille and popping the clips out

you need to take the grille apart there is a piece on the back of the grille with a bunch of clips on it take it off and pop the emblem out with a screwdriver

next you need to cut the two bars in the center out this is what the hacksaw blade is for sand the sides and center smooth

now you are ready for body filler an easy way to put the body filler on is to put it on two pieces of paper and put one on the front of the holes and one on the back

allow the body filler to dry peel the paper off and sand it smooth your grille should now look like this notice I have cut the the pieces that sat in the bars on the back of the grille

you are now ready to spray the primer I did four coats

once the primer has dried you need to sand it smooth you should sand between coats

you are now ready to paint do a few coats of your color and a few coats of clear

once the paint has dried you can put your emblem back and cut the mesh mark the mesh with a sharpie and cut it about 1/2'' excess all around

now set the mesh over the clips and push the clips through if your mesh is thin you wont have a problem re-assembling the grille then re-install
here is the finished product before and after
before:

After:

have fun

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
Agree is a cool mod, however I recomend using either a 2 part body epoxy or short strand fiberglass as oppose to bodyfiller, bodyfill will not be strong enough...fiberglass/epoxy for builder, than bodyfill to finish...

Should also add the paper used is a WAX PAPER, regular paper will be a mess..

·
Registered
67 Posts
im workin on this right now with my jetta ill post pics wen im finished

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very Nice, May I suggest a Flat Black emblem? did u use body filler, or epoxy. also what type of wire did you use and whered u get it, i had to look all over to find what i wanted, whered u get the paint, just regular white at the hardware store or ? black is kinda an easy color to paint but whites vary, Just curious, this looks so good though. can i see it on your car now !

·
Registered
67 Posts
i used bondo body filler....i found the the wiire at home depot its aluminum gutter mesh....and i used dupli color paint that i got from autozone for like 3 bux.......ill post some pix tonight =D

·
i<3VAG
7,038 Posts
i used bondo body filler....i found the the wiire at home depot its aluminum gutter mesh....and i used dupli color paint that i got from autozone for like 3 bux.......ill post some pix tonight =D
werd up man great job!

·
Registered
984 Posts
that is great, now that's a real mesh grill.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just curious and this is probably a dumb question, but would this work the same on a mkIV?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts