Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we did a fairly straight forward intake install on a 05 1.8T VW Jetta GLI. Adam choose the Neuspeed P-FLow air intake kit with the heat shield. We are going to replace the stock air box/filter with a heat shield and aftermarket air filter.

So here are our parts

and here is the victim:

Simple tools involved, phillips screw driver, flathead screw driver and 7/16" wrench, and 7/16" socket with extension, 12mm socket.

To begin take off the oil cap and the 4 screws holding on the top engine cover: (these are the screws) Then pop off the cover

Then we unscrew the stock air filter box. Also unscrew the clamp holding on the MAF and lift up the air box and unplug the MAF wiring harness.

Now twist the box to remove the MAF and pull it off and remove the stock air filter too

There is only one 12mm bolt holding on the bottom air box. Remove this bolt on the top and pry the box up. It will take some wiggling around to maneuver it out but it will come out.

Here is what you have now

Go ahead and unscrew the two phillips screws holding the MAF to the air box

If you look down by the battery we are going to remove one of the 12mm bolts. Then we are going to replace it with a rubber bushing that came with the kit.

new bushing

and install the top bushing from the original air box location

Go ahead and bolt the MAF onto the new heat shield and place it into the engine bay

Now plug the sensor back in and clamp the maf back down.

Take the screws with the kit and bolt them onto the bushings

Also install the mini filter onto the tubing from the diverter valve onto the heat shield.

and your finished! Go enjoy and test it out!

·
Cowboy
4,826 Posts
i've got the same one on my vr6...when I step on it u hear it suck in the air, just like if u had ur hood open and u were right beside...love it

What i want next is to get me an ABD big bore intake hose to replace the OEM one......MORE AIR!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah like the others said very noticeable sound even from the diverter valve there is a notice release sound. From silence to this is great.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Very clear write up! This will be my next mod for sure.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
The air filter seems far too close to the MAF sensor.. Readings are definitly gonna be obstructed by the low pressure area created so close to it. I'm sure it WORKS, but its far from spec.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
If the filter is right on the MAF, high/low pressure areas are created when the air is sucked past the sensor... Some parts of the air going in are more dense than others, theres no real flow pattern, etc. Our MAF also acts as the load sensor and (I believe) intake air temp sensor. The MAF likes to have approx. 3'' of straight pipe before the filter.

If it were a carmen vortex MAF, it'd probly be alright... but you'll definitly get some faulty readings because we use hot wire MAF's.

Might be no big deal... Its just what I was tought.

And sorry for not mentioning before, nice DIY sir! Good pics and instructions.

Reactions: ajsnow6234

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm about to install the same today. has there been any problems or has everything been alright so far.
Just curious on how this SRI has worked for ya? Ive been runnin the swiss cheese mod with a K&N filter! Its seemed to work fairly nice, but Im startin to lean a lil more towards just throwin in a P Flo setup!?

I seen your from St. Paul, Im about 20mins south of ya down in Savage!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dunno if you were talking to me but I did finally get around to doing my intake...
I had to tie it down because it kept rattling x)

IMG-20120208-00275-1-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts