Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
JettaJunkie Infant..lol
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody. This is my first DIY so be easy on me haha. I had a grill laying around and i wanna put one thats black in my bros car so i painted this tonight. I started pics late because i thought of it after i started :eek: Enjoy.

Products:

I just used Krylon primer and matte black paint. along with 600grit sandpaper.

Step 1:
Just take off your front grill, it should be just hooked up with pins or clips. carefull when you take it off don't pull too hard or you WILL break those clips.

Step 2:
Remove the chrome VW emblem. The should be three clips holding it in. I just took a flat head screw driver and poped it out. its in there pretty tight BTW.

Step 3:
Sand it. Many people recommend using 1000 grit to remove the factory paint, then 2000 grit to smooth it out. I was in a rush and could only find 600 grit. it worked well too. wish i could have gotten 1000 and 2000 though.

P.S. this grill was painted before me, but badly done. was originally silver and super glossy (ew.).

Step 4:
Clean it really well! I wiped it off and took the air to it to get rid of little specks of dirt etc.

Step 5:
I primed it with a white primer. do light coats till completely covered.

Step 6:
Paint it. Make sure you do light coats till completely covered and done to a nice finish. DO NOT by gloss paint. I took my picture like 2 secs after paint. thats why it looked so shiny, it will dull out. mine did atleast.

Step 7:
Let it dry for a bit, and then re-install the emblem. Make sure it is completely dry before re-installing into the car.

P.S. the emblem is just sitting where it goes to show you the finished product. the grill isnt completely dry.

Really quick process that makes your car look so much better!

Sorry for the crappy pics. from my phone.

·
JettaJunkie Infant..lol
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just used the flat paint and it worked real well. i'll see if i can get together with my bro and put it in. If i do ill put it up in the first post ^

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
Looks good, Ill add it to the list man. pics when you get it installed.

·
JettaJunkie Infant..lol
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, its now installed BUT, his car is COMPLETELY white from salt, then theres just a nice clean fresh painted black grill and looks funny. i'll get pics when we spray it off haha.

·
Registered
47 Posts
good post man ... I think im gunna do this to my grill.... should i use the 1000 grit to sand it off then 2000 to smooth it ?? or should I just do it like you did

·
JettaJunkie Infant..lol
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'd use what i used to get it off. then move to 1000grit then 2000 grit to sand it. LIGHT COATS haha

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
I would probably do a clear coat. I painted mine a while ago but didn't do a clearcoat 'cause I didn't want it glossy either, but it chips really easy without a clear. I gotta repaint mine sometime soon, perhaps when I clean up my lenses.

I think if you do a few lighter coats and use the krylon fusion it sholdn't be too shiney.

·
Just Call Me Dub
582 Posts
Think it'd look good if I painted my grille white on my black jetta?..

·
Just Call Me Dub
582 Posts
if the rest of the car is done right, i think so
The paint isn't in the best shape on the car, but no big paint chips. or anything. Just worried the black car and white grille would look dumb

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
Yea, check out Ashley's ride. Her's is a darkish color with white grills/grids. Looks great! That's where I got the inspiration to paint my main grill black to match the lower ones.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts