Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title implies this is the basic method for obtaining and entering your OEM radio code.

STEP 1 GETTING THE CODE

1) If you do not have the code you must first get it from the VW Stealership near you. There is no other way to get it. They should not charge for this, but some dealerships do. Be prepare and ask in advance.

2) You will need to provide the radio serial number. It is stamped on the side of the radio set.

3) The service "guy" will probably go out to your car to write down your VIN, even if you have it written down for him/her already. Remember, you're trying to get the code to an anti-theft system so be happy that they do this.

4) After they have plugged in the numbers in their computer they will give you a four digit code.

5) Keep your code handy. You will need it every time the power to the radio is interrupted.

STEP 2 ENTERING THE CODE

Ok, now you have the code, but can't enter it because the radio display says SECURITY or SAFE and nothing happens when you start pushing buttons.

This is normal after the power has been disconnected from the set or the battery has been disconnected.

You will have to keep power on (key in the ign.) and the radio turned on for "about an hour" according to my manual, but it could take several hours or in some cases several seconds. I entered the wrong code twice and was locked out, so I had to wait several hours.

You will have to wait til the screen displays 1000

1) You enter the code using the preset buttons 1-4

2) Press button 1 repeatedly until the first code digit appears, button 2 for the second digit, etc.

3) After all four digits are correctly entered press and hold the SEEK> button for a couple of seconds until you hear a beep.

That's it, you're done. Enjoy your OEM radio.

·
'02 Jetta 1.8T
169 Posts
Good write up considering we see numerous people asking about this. That's another one for our ever growing master DIY list :)

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Derek! Just trying to give something back for all the great info I've picked up here, not to mention all the great ppl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts