Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

ECM question for the pros!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ApexerVR6 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I am having trouble figuring out if I need to reflash my ecm for my 99 A3 Jetta Gl. Apparently it got fried somehow when my mechanic was fixing my coil. Says the cheapest one he can find is $275. He mentioned that I might be able to find one cheaper and he would give me a few days to try. I found a few on eBay for about $110 shipped and after doing a bit of research have found out that I need at least the last two numbers off of my current ecm and in some cases the eighth number/letter in my vin. I cannot however find a lot of information telling me I need to reflash the ecm. Could you pros shed some insight for me? So all in all do I just need matching numbers to ensure the correct ecm is being used from an appropriate donor car or do I need to get it reflashed regardless? Thanks all for any help!

#2 ·
From what you are saying it seems that you're replacing the ECM and not reflashing it. If you were reflashing it you would not need a new unit.

And yes, matching the numbers is crucial to finding the correct ECM for your car. If you match those certain numbers you're golden. I however, would stay away from fleasbay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.