Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background info:
Running/driving 1990 GLI 16V daily with no known electrical issues for the past 4 years
Just did a custom A/C install and was cleaning connections after filling and testing the system to determine why the clutch was not operating as it should. Prior to the issue it was absolutely fine. 10 minutes after pulling the battery and the fuse panel down to check a wire the following happened.

1. Complete loss of all electrical power in the car for every circuit except the Fuel Pump and boost pump.

2. What I have done and checked:
All grounds in the engine bay have been cleaned and checked for continuity, same for the all the positive wires.
Ground and power wires checked for continuity and power going to the fuse block.
Spare CE2 fuse block swapped in-No Change
Spare new ignition switch swapped in-No Change
Spare Computer swapped in-No Change, also no change when comp is left completely disconnected.
All fuses pulled except fuel pump one by one-No Change
Pulled fuel pump fuse and the pump shuts off
Pulled fuel pump relay and the pump but continues to run
Pulled fuel pump harness from the back of the fuse block and it will shut off

Summary
So I have nothing powered except the fuel pumps and power going to the fuse panel with nothing else receiving power at this point. Running out of ideas at this point except disconnecting every electrical connector at the fuse block one by one to maybe isolate what circuits/or circuit are causing the issue. What I don't understand is why the fuel pump is running here and nothing else is working and no fuses are blown either. I have a Bentley, I have meters, experience and time but what am I missing? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well figured it out last night. So the main power wire was plugged int Z1 which backfeed the fuel pump and kept power from going to the rest of the panel becuase it was not it Y4. Thanks for all the help here, I knew it had to be something simple that I did when I dropped the panel originally!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts